Monday, February 1, 2010

Long Long Longevity

Food plays a major role in the Chinese New Year celebration. When serving for Chinese New Year, hosts often think of serving "lucky" foods. These "lucky" foods each have it's own symbolic meaning, some might be because the food pronunciation in Chinese sounds like a "lucky" word, or it could be because the food itself symbolizes good luck.
What are these "lucky" foods?
1) Noodles(long noodles) - Noodles are almost always served during CNY. When served, hosts try to keep them as long as possible. The long noodles symbolize long life.
2) Fish - In Chinese, the word for fish is "Yu" which sounds like the word abundance in Chinese. Fish is served whole(yes, with the head and tail) to ensure a good start and finish for the year. Of course you don't have to serve a whole fish if you are squeamish about the head and tail being on the table, you can just serve something that contain fish in it.

3) Tangerines - Displaying, eating or giving tangerines are said to bring wealth and good luck. However, one must not display or give four because the word four in Chinese sounds like the word death. Eight, on the other hand, is a good number because it sounds like the word prosperity in Chinese.
4) Jiaozi - Also known as Chinese dumplings or pot-stickers, signify family reunion. This however is not familiar to me. From Wikipedia: "Dumplings Jiaozi are one of the major foods eaten during the Chinese New Year, and year round in the northern provinces. They look like the golden ingots yuan bao used during the Ming Dynasty for money and the name sound like the word for the earliest paper money, so serving them brings the promise of wealth, good luck and prosperity! Many families eat these at midnight on Chinese New Year's Eve so they have money at the changing of the years. Some cooks will even hide a clean coin in one for the most lucky to find."
Please check out Chinese New Year Food for recipes. I should also mention that if you have an Asian market near you, you might be able to buy some of the sweets I mentioned in the previous post.

Now on to a little Chinese New Year traditions:

1) On Chinese New Years eve, every family will clean the house thoroughly to "sweep" away all the old and ill-fortune of the year past, that way you can start new and fresh for the new year.

2) Paper cut-outs of the word "Fu"(pictured below) are displayed on windows and doors. The Chinese word "Fu" means Good Fortune.

3) Family "Reunion" dinner is often had on the eve of Chinese New Year. This is when those "lucky" foods are served.

4) Just like on Christmas day when kids open their presents, on Chinese New Year morning/day, children will greet and wish their parents "Gong Xi Fa Chai"(which loosely translates to "Congratulations and be prosperous") and receive money in red envelopes called Hong Bao. Hong Baos will also be given by married relatives or friends to children and unmarried adults. Picture below shows assorted Hong Bao at a market. I have found out that our local Walgreens store sells some Chinese New Year cards and Hong Bao!

5) Wearing red clothing is common because red is believed to scare away evil spirits and bad fortune. Black is never a good choice as black symbolizes death.

There you have it. Now you know about Chinese New Year more than you have ever before.

15 comments:

Golden Samantha said...

Thanks for telling all this wonderful information about CNY! The ways in which other cultures celebrate holidays is just fascinating to me! Happy Chinese New Year!
Hugs xo
Sammie

Mrs. JP said...

Wow YD, you are a wealth of information. I bet the feast is so delicious.

How Sam Sees It said...

Thank you for letting us know all of this! I kind of like the idea of sweeping out the old year!

Sam

Mochi and Bali said...

Great job explaining everything! :) Our family calls the Hong Bao, Li See. I love the CNY dinners, but I always look forward to the gao! Yum!

Mochi's Mommy

Sierra Rose said...

Wow! So much tradition and meaning. Thank you for posting this!

Hugs and snaggle-tooth kisses,
Sierra Rose

Lena said...

Thanks for sharing some of your traditions with us! I never knew CNY was celebrated in such detail. :-)

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Mom is all excited here - she says she is going to surprise our human sissie-in-law with all she now knows about Chinese New Year. And she said to tell you that she probably won't be able to test those cookies out until they come to visit again, maybe over the summer.

Thanks for a great post.

Woos, Phantom and Thunder

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

Thank woo fur the interesting fakhts!

Mom says she'll pass on the whole fish 'thing' - I ofFURed to help her with some heads and tails!

Happy Year of The Tiger!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

yvonne said...

Jiaozi.... have no idea what is it, though i celebrate CNY yearly *shy*
when i was young i must admit i enjoyed hong bao the most. now, i need to give them instead, lol.

Augie and Ti's mom said...

Wow, thanks for the info! I was especially interested in the part about the whole family cleaning the house LOL

CrossView said...

Very interesting! Now if I could just find a local Chinese family to take me in so I can eat and be happy, I'd consider myself prosperous! =D

Golden Woofs! SUGAR said...

Woof! Woof! Great detailed info again ... We don't have to do a post, just have direct it to you blog. We are busy preparing for CNY ... cleaning as you know is very important. I'm going to the doggy spa this weekend while my family spends the day at Chi town. This is really cool (my mom says) to have a blog friend that knows CNY. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

Hayden said...

Thanks for this. Having just moved away from San Francisco after 34 years... I really miss all of the shared holidays! Life is more drab for not seeing the bright red and orange decorations and the parades.

gung hai fat choi!

Julie said...

This is so cool. I'm going to use this as a unit study for the kids. Wish you could be here to help teach. I think we may stick with the tangerines and opt out of the whole fish thing. : )

Farley's Mom said...

That sounds like such a wonderful tradition! Thank you for sharing this with us, we didn't know how it was celebrated. I agree with Sam, I like the sweeping part :)