Sunday, February 21, 2010

Porky Pig

The initial title for this post was "Pork on Pork" but then I thought it really sounded like porn so I changed it.


Anywho, I have a recipe I would like to share with you. We eat pork tenderloin quite often and most of the time we just grill it. It was cold the other evening, I didn't feel like going out to grill and I wanted to try something different. So I came up with an idea using what I have in the fridge(bacon, hence the "pork on pork" title), freezer(shrimp) and pantry(cajun seasoning, rum). This is NOT a lean dish, in fact just reading it may cause weight gain. Please proceed at your own risk.

I'm sure you already know by now that most of my recipes do not really have exact measurements, so please use this recipe as a basic guideline(if you would like to try it) for this delicious pork dish.

Pork Tenderloin and Shrimp wrapped in Bacon

Ingredients:
  • 2 Pork tenderloins (about 1 Lb. each), cut into 1 1/2" pieces
  • Shrimp, the amount of shrimp to use depends on how many pork pieces you get from cutting them into 1 1/2"
  • Bacon slices, also depends on the amount of pork pieces
  • Cajun seasoning mix (or your favorite kind of seasoning mix)
  • Salt & Pepper to taste
  • A pinch or more of Parsley
  • Toothpicks
  • 1/4 cup or more Rum or water or chicken broth (This was hubby's idea. Good idea hon!)
  • About 1 to 1 1/2 cup sliced onions
  • About 1 cup of sliced mushrooms (you can leave out the mushroom if you don't eat fungi)

Instructions:

1) Put the pork tenderloin pieces and shrimp in a large bowl(or you can use 2 separate bowls) and season with cajun seasoning mix, S&P and parsley.

2) Take a piece of pork and a piece of shrimp, put them together and wrap them with bacon. Secure them with a toothpick. Continue wrapping the rest.

3) Place the pork pieces in a large skillet and cook them on medium to medium high heat. Keep an eye on them and flip them to different sides every 2-3 minutes. Cook them for about 15-18 minutes total.

4) Remove the pork pieces and set aside. Keep an eye out for food stealing dogs or humans.

5) In the same skillet, scoop and discard some of the bacon fat(or you can just leave them in) and add the onions and mushrooms. Saute for about 5 minutes on medium high heat until the onions and mushrooms are soft and a little caramalized.

6) Return the pork pieces to the skillet of onions and mushrooms yummy goodness, add the rum(how much rum or water depends on how saucy you like your dish) and cook everything for about 1-2 minutes more. Don't forget to taste for seasonings. Remove from heat and serve.

I served this dish with mashed potatoes(well, boxed mashed potatoes. Sorry, are you shock in horror?). I'm sure it's good with rice pilaf or wild rice or even egg noodles.

From my kitchen to yours, happy cooking!

11 comments:

wvfarmgirl said...

Sounds good! I never would have thought to combine shrimp and pork. Hmmm... sounds like another wrap possibility. :)

Farley's Mom said...

Sooooo funny :) The recipe sounds delicious!

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Sounds yummy. Do you know any good recipes for oven roasting pork tenderloins?

How Sam Sees It said...

Sounds delicious! We are trying very hard to keep our New Year's Resolutions to lose wait. So far we are keeping on schedule! We may come back to it when we hit our targets...

Sam

Meeka said...

Hi June and Sam,
Were you able to get a taste of your mom's delicious "porky pig"? I just noticed your new header, nice picture. I like that Sam is waving. Take care. Meeka

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

That sounds furry good!

Mom thinks so too!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Life With Dogs said...

I hate to cook. And this sounds so damn decadent that I have to try it. Wish me luck and listen for sirens...

CrossView said...

Sounds great! Of course, I love Cajun seasoning on just about everything.... LOL!

Mrs. JP said...

Oh, I did gain a little weight reading this but that's okay. This sounds delicious and I think when I make this it'd be good over yellow rice. YUMMMMM
Thanks for another great recipe.

warren said...

Three of the finest meats all stuck together? Sign me up!

Lena said...

Great recipe! Sounds delicious to wrap pork in bacon....mmm, I love anything with bacon. Did the golden girls get some too?

:-)
Lena and Kane