Last Saturday we drove pass Wal-Mart and hubby pointed at the parking lot and said "those people have been there since Tuesday". I looked over and there were 2 trucks parked and it was a family of 4 with 2 big dogs. I could clearly see that they were "staying" at Wal-Mart parking lot because the trucks were packed with their belongings.
Without sounding too corny, I would like to tell you how much I love my husband and one of the reasons why is that he has a very kind heart. He is a very tough guy and he acts that way too. He swears like a sailor or a trucker(no offence to all the sailors & truckers, he used to be a trucker himself). Sometimes people think he is a hard-ass. But he is a very kind man and he would do anything he could to help other people(his friends or even strangers).
Yesterday he called me at work and said that he just had to stop to find out why those people were "staying or camping out" at Wal-Mart parking lot. He found out that they came from South Carolina. Ray and his sons were offered a job to work with a local custom home builder. So they packed up their belongings and moved from SC to NY to persue this new job. Little did they know that the company went bottoms out recently and the owner is actually facing some criminal charges. So with no jobs and not a lot of money, they were not able to find an apartment to live in(having the 2 big dogs don't really help with apartment searching. I know how hard it is because I have gone through it myself, trying to find a place to live that would allow not one but 2 big dogs). They tried to stay in a local motel that would allow dogs but it's getting expensive staying there daily. So they went to Wal-Mart and asked if they could just kinda camp out there for now.
So hubby called me later yesterday and said that we may not have much but we could offer them a hot meal and maybe a shower and asked if I would be ok with it. Of course I would be ok with it! Other people had helped us out before when we needed it and we should always pay it forward. So he invited them over for dinner and he also offered them a job for now(helping him with his landscaping projects) until they find a full time job. Later yesterday we discussed over dinner and told the family that they are welcome to stay for a little while at our home until they can get back up on their feet. We only have 2 bedrooms but we have a huge yard. So, we asked our neighbors from 2 doors down if we could borrow their pop-up camper and let the boys stay in the camper in our yard and the dogs can stay there too. Our neighbors were very glad to help.
Ray and his family were very grateful and kept thanking us. They kept asking if there is anything they could do for us. We told them to just pay it forward.
I know some poeple will think we are nuts for inviting some strangers to our home. Even Mike's best friend made a comment yesterday to me: "Is he nuts? He doesn't know these people, he could get robbed". Well, if everyone thinks this way then this would be a really terrible world! We already have plenty of problems like school shootings, sexual predetors, killings....someone somewhere has to do something kind to keep the world going. If we got robbed then so be it, at least in our hearts we know we are trying to do a good deed.
So my dear readers, do something nice and kind to someone you know or don't know and ask them to pay it forward.
11 comments:
I'm usually the cautious one. My husband (retired Marine) is the one with the huge heart. He helps me remember what's important!
Thnak you for the reminder! Sweet post... =D
Wow! You two are just the coolest people!
I love this story!
Now I must read all that I've missed!
Blessings!
Lacy
LOVE this post. And, not for one moment did I think "this is crazy" - but I reside in your camp - where I think first of reaching out and trusting those in need. I think our guts can tell us when the right time/situation is upon us to rise up and help others - and clearly, these folks were somehow meant to be helped by you. I applaud you for rising to the occasion.
LOVELY.
I am very touched by your post. I would hope that I would do the same thing, but many times it is easier to just go by. I am inspired and impressed. Thanks again for being my first blog!
Kim
Oh yeah, I figured out the picture thing.
That is so neat that you would do that!!! If only the world would open it's heart to each and every one who is needy and love as Christ would love, we would have such a wonderful world to live in. I'm so glad to hear there are still people like you who not only SEE a need, but DO something about it! Thanks for posting this!
Cora
You did a wonderful thing. :)
This is one of the sweetest stories that I've heard in too long a time. I applaud you & your husband. If the world had more folks like you two with open arms and open hearts, if would be such a better place.
I admire you two so much! Thank you for being so kind and loving. God bless you and your husband. ((hug))
My prayers and positive thoughts go out to Ray & his family to find steady work & a home soon!
(((hugs))
If you and Mike ever make it down here, I'll take you to Mr. Gordy's grave and to the little haunted house. Supposedly a witch lives across the street. Pretty cool, eh?
No doubt that Mike would be thrilled!
Blessings!
Lacy
I am so glad that I came to your blog! You are an inspiration to all of us...a reminder to all of us to help those who are in need! I am definitely going to seek out a way to pay it forward! Thank you!
Juri
Wow ~ what a story! I'm so thankful there are still kind hearts in the world. You've lifted my spirits today.
Thanks for coming by to visit. You know I actually enjoyed hand washing my dishes yesterday! LOL
Smiles,
Lea
That was very kind of you both! Working in the ED I see a lot of people that take advantage of others so I probably might have been a little leary but sounds like you all did the right thing! ~Kim
Post a Comment