Tuesday, July 14, 2009

This Week

I have a few projects I intend to do this week:

1) Make cherry jam - We went to pick tons of cherries last Sunday(7/12) and I am plannig to make some cherry jam. I've never made cherry jam before nor have I eaten cherry jam. So this should be interesting.

2) Make cherry liqueur - Yes, I want to try it. I made some raspberry liqueur last year and it was very tasty. So with the amount of cherries we picked and the 2 bottles of vodka(I'm not an alcoholic, please don't send me to A.A meetings, I bought 1 bottle for our party and our friend brought another bottle) that I had on top of my fridge, I am going to make cherry liqueur. If you are interested in making some liqueur, please check out this site.

3) Make triple-berry jam - I didn't make any strawberry jam this year but raspberries are in season. I will try to pick some from my neighbor's yard(that is if the weather cooperates) and then buy some blueberries and strawberries to make this.

I'm sure some of you have noticed that I haven't talk much about my garden. Well, there is really not much to talk about. It's not doing very well. I do not know what is the matter, I want to blame it on the wacky weather we've been getting but I couldn't because my neighbor's garden thrive. I have tested the soil and I have fertilized but seems like things are just not growing. Potatoes, corns, cabbages seem like the only ones that are growing. Bok choy and napa cabbage are just starting to grow(after more than 2 months being transplanted!). Cukes and zukes...I'm mad at them. They just don't seem to want to grow at all. The zukes are the same size now as they were when they were first transplanted but they are blooming. Weird. Tomatoes, I'm very dissapointed, not much going on there either. I'm not really giving up yet but at this point, I doubt that I wouldn't get much this year. :(

10 comments:

CrossView said...

I'm having problems with my cucmbers this year, too. Weird. That's the one thing that I can usually count on to grow well.

Samantha said...

My tomatoes aren't doing so hot either. The plants have gotten huge & I'll see blossoms, but I think that the plants aren't getting enough sun to make the tomatoes actually grow from the blossoms. Hopefully when we move there will still be a little time for them to grow tomatoes!

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

I'm going to have to remember this for next year!

The liqueur idea would have been a wonderful way to use some of the cherries!

As it was, I made a cooked concoction with some and a loose stew with some of the others...
I love cherry things...I probably love that jam/preserve the most!

Please keep sharing!

Khyra's Mom

Julie said...

My feeble attempts at planting some things have been met with much failure. We also have options for a fall garden, so I am giving it another shot. Hope yours improves.

Mrs. JP said...

hey, that's a good idea to make multi berry jam - i bet it's good.
Don't worry about the garden, buy from the farmer's market. There's always next year. I think it's been a weird year.

Lena said...

Hey YD,

I can't wait to see/hear more about your berry adventures - both alcoholic and non. I love berry blend jam!
Seems like everyone's gardens are down this year. My potatoes are failing miserably. Ah well, better luck next year....

Woodrow, Luna, MJ Campanella said...

mmm jam sounds like alot of fun - sorry your garden isnt doing too well

Woodrow Sweetie & MJ

Paco,Milo, Maya and mommy Simona said...

OMDDDDDDDDDD!!!!
We're drooling thinking to all of these yummilicious thing that your mommy wants to do!!!!
We love JAM!!!!
Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeee......can you send us a little bit for us???
;-)))))))
Our garden have lots of problems too....the plants are suffering hot a lot......
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm....we don't know what we could do apart giving lots of water to them.....
Is the first time that mommy and dad tryed to do a garden.....
Maybe next year they'll learn more secrets about making it!!!!
Hope your jam could be very very very yummyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!
We love you dear J&S and family!!!!

Farley's Mom said...

Cherry liqueur - you are my hero! Sounds wonderful.

warren said...

I have blackberry wine brewing right now but liquor sounds awesome too! Thanks for the info