Wednesday, April 14, 2010

How To Grow Sweet Potatoes

I first posted about my sweet potato "experiment" here. Here is how it looks like now!

Do you know that sweet potatoes are not grown from tuber(the potato itself)? Unlike a potato, which you grow from the "eyes" of a potato tuber, sweet potatoes are grown from slips. Slips are those green vines that grow right out of the sweet potato. My next step(which I think I am a little late in doing) is to cut those slips at the base of the mother sweet potato and transplant them. Sweet potatoes need warm climates, so for me, I would have to tranplant the slips into different pots(to get a jump start) for now until there is no danger of frost, then they can be planted outside. If you live in the southern states of the US, you can cut the slips from the mother sweet potato and transplant them outside when the soil is at least 70 degrees. For detail "How tos", please go here.
Do you also know that sweet potato plant is actually a vine?

13 comments:

Golden Woofs! SUGAR said...

Woof! Woof! We do remember your previous post about the "experiment" WOW! Thanks for sharing ... my mom is so curious n wants to try it. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

CrossView said...

Aren't they fascinating? And hey! Out soil is the perfect temperature right now. ;o)

Lena said...

I think you should send your slips to me and CrossView. We have the right temperature for these babies.
I'm already out of space in our garden (honey - need bigger garden!!!).
Looks like a fun experiment. :-)

Golden Samantha said...

Love sweet potatoes and it sounds like Mom could actually do this! I recall your other post about growing the "roots" - soon the weather should be warm enough to plant. Will have to get us some "vines" (taters!)
Hugs xo
Sammie

animal lover, quilt lover said...

I love sweet potatoes!!!! We eat 3 or 4 a week!!! We should be growing some!!! Thanks for the idea!!
Back on the what's for dinner, I keep hard boiled eggs in the refrig all the time. That really helps a lot too.
XXOO, Fern

Mrs. JP said...

Plus, it's a beautiful plant.

Sierra Rose said...

Hi pals!! And, wow! Yummy sweet potatos.

Hugs and snaggle-tooth kisses,
Sierra Rose

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

The Doggy Nanny loves them and so do I!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

animal lover, quilt lover said...

Nice to see you for a visit today.
We learn so much from eachother don't we? I have learned the hard way, not to let Bambi eat the whole ear of corn. The cob can cause major blockage!!!! Bambi had to go to the vets to be unblocked. It is safer to just take the cob before they start to eat it.
XXOO, Fern

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

That is amazing - learned a lot about sweet potatoes. I am almost tempted to try one just to see it leaf out - no luck here in planting in the ground.

Woos, Phantom, Thunder, and Ciara

1000 Goldens said...

I had no idea that sweet potatoes grew on a vine! I can't wait to see the result of this experiment and I sure hope you will get to harvest some potatoes in the end :)

Meeka said...

I love sweet potatoes.
In as much as we'd like to try to grow our own, no one here has a green thumb :(

warren said...

It's a nice looking house plant, nevermind the food part. Cool work!