Saturday, January 23, 2010

Bread and Butter

Bread and Butter, a common phrase, but do you know that this common phrase is also a superstitious phrase? I googled "Bread and Butter" and found out from Wikipedia that:
"Bread and butter is a superstitious phrase from the 19th and early 20th
centuries, typically used by young couples walking together when temporarily
separated by an obstacle, such as a pole or another person."

Guess we all learn something new everything. But today's post is really about making bread and making butter.

Nothing beats a homemade bread with a smear of homemade butter. Mmm mmm! I love freshly made Artisan bread(next to pasta and rice, bread is my other favorite carb.). I enjoy making bread at home but I don't do that too often. I don't buy bread too often either. This is simply because most Artisan breads come in a big loaf, even a small loaf/boule is too much for the two of us and it's not as good the next day(good for french toast though).

Anyhow, I saw this recipe for Italian Bread on King Arthur Flour and gave it a try. This recipe is a keeper! It is easy to make(even if you are a beginner in bread making) and it is delicious. When I first made this recipe, I made a braided loaf(just like the recipe) but I also saved a small portion of the dough and shaped them into 2 small dinner rolls.
I'm going to make this bread again this weekend but this time I'm going to freeze half of the dough for future use, hopefully it will work out.
If you would like to give this recipe a try, please go to: Italian Bread 101

Now on to the topic of making butter. I have read an article about making butter in a magazine a few months back and I have thought of giving it a try but haven't got around to it. A few days ago I saw a post at Achorn Farm about making butter and I would like to share it with you: Making Butter

So, the next rainy/stormy weekend you get and you are "trapped" inside the house, why not give bread making a try?

Have a wonderful weekend!

9 comments:

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

Mom is drooling all ovFUR my laptop!

Bread AND butter in one post!

*SIGH!*

She khan't rekhall the last time she made bread but maybe she'll give it a try again!

She also says thanks fur the butter link too!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra & Khousin Merdie

Julie said...

I love homemade bread fresh out of the oven. I don't make it very often though. I was planning on spending the day baking tomorrow. Maybe I'll throw in a loaf of bread. Thanks for the nudge.

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Mom is not a big bread eater but she does enjoy homemade bread. Never seems to be enough time to do it. She also says it is hard for the two of them to finish it in a timely fashion = we strongly suggest they could share it with us, especially if add some butter:)

Woos, Phantom and Thunder

Country Girl said...

That was sweet of you to post. I have some bread pics to post but haven't yet. Maine Man has started to dabble in it a bit.

How Sam Sees It said...

Thank you! I have made bread in the past, and it is something I really like to do, but I haven't found a recipe yet that Aaron or I are really keen on.

Sam

Augie and Ti's mom said...

Ohhhh BREAD! And BUTTER!! Must..resist...must...resis..

Farley's Mom said...

You brought back a happy memory by sharing the "bread & butter" superstition. My Grandma used to say that all the time :) There is nothing like home made bread, mmm....

CrossView said...

Homemade bread and homemeade butter are my 2 favorite food groups! ;o)

Lena said...

We loooooove bread at our house too. I make a LOT of sourdough breads. Can't wait to try my hand at butter - how fun! And yummy...

Lena & kane