Monday, October 12, 2009

Corny


One of the things I love to eat in the summer time is corn on the cob. I used to steam them but lately I have been addicted to grilling them, husk and all.

When I eat corn on the cob, I like to eat them by the rows. Call me weird if you will. But I like to eat them, say, 4 rows at a time lengthwise like a typewritter. Hubby eats them around the cob. Samantha and June love corn as well. Samantha eats the whole corn, including the cob. June is a princess, she only eats the corn kernels and she eats it like a human.

Ok now here's what I would like to find out: How do you eat corn on the cob?

Sad to say, corn season is over. No more fresh corn on the cob. When corn is not in season, I buy frozen corn. Here's how I like to prepare the frozen corn:

Garlic Corn Saute

Ingredients:
2 tablesppon olive oil or butter
1 bag frozen corn kernels, 1Lb. bag
1 medium onion, chopped, about 1 cup
2 cloves garlic, minced
A handfull of chopped chives (told you I never measure when I cook)
A handfull of chopped parsley
Salt & Pepper to taste
A few dash of crushed hot pepper, optional

Instructions:
1) In a 10-12" skillet over medium heat(I have 8 settings and I usually set it at 4), heat oil/butter. Add all the ingredients in the skillet starting with the chopped onion in the bottom and ending with frozen corn. Season with salt & pepper and crushed hot pepper.

2) Cook on medium heat without stiring for about 3-5 minutes. Check it at 3 minutes, making sure it's not burnt. If it's starting to burn, turn the heat down a notch. What you want is for the onions to caramelized(at the same time the heat will thaw the corn). Then stir and let cook for another 3-5 minutes. Keep stiring every few minutes and cooking the corn mixture until the corn is caramelized(golden brownish). Taste and re-season if necessary.

This is a great side dish to serve with grilled steak, pork or chicken. Enjoy!
Please come back this Friday for a very special Golden Friday edition!

14 comments:

CrossView said...

Sounds good! And I eat mine like your husband does. But if you're cooking, I'll eat it any way you want me to! ;o)

Astrid Keel said...

My momster eats them by rows like you... but my daddy eats it by going "round and round the merry go raound."

Julie said...

That sounds yummy. I love corn. I don't know how I eat corn. I can't wait to eat another cob just to see!

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

Mom says it is all in how she feels - sometimes it is bakhk and forth; other times 'round and 'round!

Tank woo fur sharing your khorn recipe - Mom said she might just try that sometime!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra
PeeEssWoo: She nevFUR let me try the khorn on the khob ;-(

Golden Daily Scoop said...

That sounds delicious!!! Thx for sharing!!!

lotsa licks,
Miley

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Ha rooo - great post. Our Mom just absolutely LOVES fresh corn on the cob, but the season is very short here in the Kansas City area for GOOD tender corn. She likes to eat it by the rows, 3-4 at a time, with lots of real butter:)

The pups don't eat corn, doesn't seem to agree with them.

Tail wags, the OP Pack

Angel Tucker, Daisy and Leo said...

Our mom is a round and round girl. Daisy would love to get her paws on an ear, but mom won't share.

Tucker and Daisy

Mochi and Bali said...

Mom eats it by rows and dad eats around the cob. Me...I don't get any.

Thanks for the recipe! :)

Mochi

warren said...

I eat corn like you do...never around the cob...

Chester said...

Mmmmmm-that sounds delicious! My pack are corn hounds-every one of us. We freezed bags and bags and bags of it so we can eat it all year long. Still not as good as fresh but it'll do. Mom came up with a similar kinda corn recipe all by herself this year. She made some Italian butter and drizzled that all over the cob instead of butter. Now when she cooks a bag of corn up, she puts a tsp. or so in the pan and she always get this "Yummy" face and groans how good it is. You can find italian butter recipes on the internet-pick one you think sounds good to you and try it on and in everything!

I don't get around here as often as I'd like but sure am glad I visited today. Hope to get back more often. Have fun!

Chester ;0=)

Chester ;0=)

Farley's Mom said...

Wow, that sounds like a delicious recipe. I am boring and just put butter on it, but maybe next time I will get fancy :) I think I am a combo girl - round & round, but sometimes rows too.

Sierra Rose said...

My mom loves to eat sweet corn RAW! She just can't wait to cook it...must eat it.
Great recipe though!!!

Hugs and snaggle-tooth kisses,
Sierra Rose

the inadvertent farmer said...

This sounds like an awesome way to cook frozen corn...definitely giving it a try, thanks! kim

RazorFamilyFarms.com said...

Yummo!! I love corn and when grilled... it's more than love.

Congratulations on your 150th post. You are a fabulous blogger! I remember your first post!!!

Blessings!
Lacy