Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Garlic

Fall is garlic planting time. I planted garlic for the very first time last year and I'm hooked! I know I didn't plant nearly enough last year being my first year and all and I only planted 1 variety.

This year I am planting more. I have planted my garlic last weekend and they are covered in straw for the winter. Here are the varieties I'm planting this year:

These were ordered from The Maine Potato Lady
1) German Extra Hardy (Hardneck), 1/2 Lb. I planted these last year.

2) Georgian Crystal (Hardneck), 1/2 Lb.

These were ordered from The Garlic Store
1) Xian (Hardneck) , 1/2 Lb.
2) Tuscan (Softneck), 1/2 Lb.

Do you like garlic? Will you be planting some garlic this fall?

15 comments:

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Trying to catch up on our blogs from our missed weekend. Congrats to Sierra AND to you on your milestone in blogging. We don't plant much here but we do like to use garlic in our cooking - good luck with the crop.

woos, the OP Pack

Golden Daily Scoop said...

Mom looooves garlic, never tried growing it....I think it makes her breath stink!!! BOL!!!

lotsa licks,
Miley

Julie said...

I have never planted garlic, but I planted onions for the first time this year. They are growing, so far. I hope something grows!

Maxmom said...

Hey there guys
Well, I am sure you wont have many mosquitos there in summer! Did you know that garlic helps to keep the mozzies away? Here in Africa, Malaria is one of the biggest killers. Good luck with all the plants.
Lotsalicks
MAXDOG IN SOUTH AFRICA

CrossView said...

We don't do garlic. But one year I AM going too plant a fall garden... Hope yours does beautifully!

Mochi and Bali said...

Mom and dad love garlic, but they never tried planting it. Good luck! :)

Mochi

Shelley said...

I love garlic! Didn't know I could plant it this time of year -thanks!! (I love to roast the garlic and spread it on toasted french bread w/ goat cheese! Yum!!

Farley's Mom said...

Very cool - I had no idea it was planted in the Fall! I bet garlic from home is so much better than the stuff sitting around the grocery store :)

Country Girl said...

We love garlic. This marks our third fall of planting it. We plan to get it in over the weekend, running a little behind this year.

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

Wow!

I khan't say we knew there were so many kinds of garlikh!

Mom is starting to drool AGAIN!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Paco,Milo, Maya and mommy Simona said...

Hi sweet and beautiful girls!!
How are you????
We missed you a lot!!!!!
We're soooooooooooo sorry haven't commenting a lot on your wonderful blog...but our secretary are having some problems with internet and blogger!!!
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....
But we think of you every day!!!
How could we forget 2 special girls like you???
You're soooooooooooooo important for us!!!!!!
Congrats to Sierra for winning your contest....
But...NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO....we missed the chance to play!!!
MOMMYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY...
Sigh sigh sigh....
Dad loves garlic a lot....he tried to give it to us....but...BLEAHHHHHHHHHH....we hate it!!!
and when he eat garlik we don't want him kisses us!!!!
His breath stink!!!
Wawawawaaaaaaaaaa!!!!
And we don't want having a stinky breath....if we would meet....waht will you think of us???
You'll never kiss us!!!!!!!!!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
;-))))))
WE LOVE YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!
HAve a wonderful day lovely girls!!!
Tons of love and kisses

Lena said...

YUMMY!
We are definitely planting garlic again this year. In fact, the box is sitting in the garage staring at me saying : "Aren't you going to plant us soon? You know it's way past Columbus day now, don't you?!?"

Good luck with your garlic! :-)

Luv,

Mrs. Barley and Kane

inadvertent farmer said...

I planted two 12x4 beds full...can't wait!!! Kim

warren said...

Heck yeah! We love garlic!

How Sam Sees It said...

Sounds wonderful!