Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Order Up

I placed my seeds orders yesterday. I've been planning what to plant this year. I wrote a list of what I want and went through the seeds that I still have from last year and finally decided on what I need to order. There are a few things I'm not trying again and there are a few new things for the garden, but more on that at a later post.

If you recall, last year was my first year starting my own seedlings and I really enjoyed it. Some of my seeds for last year came from my neighbor and some from Lowes & Tractor Supply store. This year however, I have decided to order them. Here are what I've ordered:

From Johnny 's Seeds: Cherokee Purple tomatoes and Purple Haze carrots...Yes, I have a thing for purple stuff, can't help it, purple is my favorite color!

From Pinetree Garden Seeds: Honey & Cream Corn, Cue Ball Zucchini, National Pickling Cucumber, Tomatoes (Opalka, Yellow Pear, Betterboy, Beefmaster & Black Cherry)
Where do you normally buy your seeds from? Is it the same place every year or do you like to order from different places each time?

10 comments:

CrossView said...

I love oddly colored vegetables. They just make me smile!

I usually buy seeds wherever I happen to be when the mood strikes. LOL!

Looks like you've got lots of goodies to look forward to!

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

I think oddly colored vegetables are so interesting.
I do have a lot of goodies this year and I CAN'T wait! As much as I love snow, I WANT spring now! :-)

Country Girl said...

I like those purple carrots too and may order some as well. We live close to Johnny's and Fedco so we are usually last minute purpashing seeds. We also get seeds at Agway somimes too.

wvfarmgirl said...

We love the purple carrots. I think they are so much sweeter than the orange ones, especially when baby sized. This year I'm also growing the red, white, and yellow varieties. I've never grown the red or yellow, so those are new this year.

Good luck with the garden!

Lena said...

I love your choices. I'm going to do cueball zucchini this year as well. A friend of mine brought some by and they were SO cute. They tasted good too, but first and foremost they were CUTE! :-)
Fiance has a HUGE plan for corn and potatoes this year - a new garden spot was tilled in the fall. I order some seeds from seed savers exchange and souther seed exchange.
How do you start your seeds? What kind of growing medium do you use and do you fertilize - I think we need a blog post on this. :-)

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

Kim: The only catalog I received is Johnny's but I find that their prices are higher, so I only ordered 2 kinds from them.

WVfarmgirl: I hope these purple carrots grow. I tried to grow some carrots last year but none germinated. I thought about those pineapple tomatoes you talked about but decided not to. I do need to tell you that hubby was looking at the catalog the other day and said that the orange tomato looks cool...you think I may have a chance to change his "tomatoes have to be red" mind?

Lena:My neighbor was the one who introduced me to those round zucchinis. You are right, they are so darn cute!!! Last year I used Jiffy Seed Starter. It comes in a slotted tray with lid and with little round discs in the slots. All you have to do is the add warm water and the discs will expand and you put seeds in it. But this year I'm using egg shells and Pro-mix potting soil(I don't know much but I watch P. Allen Smith's shows all the time and that's what he uses), I guess I can't go wrong with that.

Anonymous said...

I ordered the same purple carrots and tomatoes as you did. I always get my seed from territorial seed company. I love all the detailed cultural, harvest, insect, disease info for each and every kind of seed they sell. It is like getting a cataloge and botony lesson all in one!

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

Inadvertentfarmer: Thank you for stopping by. I will check out territorial seed company. I love reading and learning more about what I'm planting.

Jody M said...

We're ordering the Purple Haze carrots, too! We did the Cherokee Purple last year and it was fantastic.

We're doing a black German radish this year, it's supposed to get 3-4 inches across. I can't wait!

RE: otherly colored tomatoes: one of my all-time favorite tomatoes is Aunt Ruby's German Green, which you have to pick ripe by feel because they never change from green....but oooohhhh the taste.

I'm going to be posting a list of seeds ordered and where I'm ordering from here very soon, stay tuned!

Erica said...

I love the fun colored veggies too. We did beets last year in different colors, and the different tastes are a lot of fun.