This is June protesting that I'm taking up their space for a new garden. :-)
I like to research and learn more about different vegetable varieties out there and of course pick
the ones that are best for my gardening zone (I'm in Zone 5). I found this site, by Cornell University, in which you can search and read reviews of over 5000 vegetable varieties! If you sign up(and it's free), you could create your profile and then search the varieties according to your zone. If you are not sure which zone you are at, there is a map that you can refer to. You could also write reviews on the varieties that you have planted. Please click on the picture on the right to go to the site. I will also put a little search widget here on my blog. Thank you Craig for providing me with the code.
10 comments:
Could you garden along that fence line too? I have a friend who square foot gardens along her fence and uses the fence as a trellis of sorts
Warren: I could but not this area. I always plant my cucumbers along the fence so they climb up the fence.
That looks a good spot, thanks for the resource, good idea to put a link on your blog for those of us who will wonder back in a few weeks unable to find your post. ~Kim
A garden would be very fun to have. Mommy had one many years ago and learned to can pickles, salsa and other fun stuff.
Hugs, Kodak
PeeS: Have fun making snow angels today!
Thanks for plugging the Vegetable Varieties site. Please stop back and visit at Ellis Hollow when you get a chance.
I think you picked the perfect spot. Are you going to fence it in also? (I think your other garden spot is too, right?)
Thanks for the resource link for Cornell. It looks like I can spend a few hours on that site.
Did you decide on what potatoes to get?
Kane is jealous of the girls being able to play in the snow... :-)
It's getting closer to spring!
Very cool. Thanks for the link.
Kim: I think it's a good spot. My neighbor's garden is just next to the fence. The search tool is in the left bottom section on the page.
Kodak: Our mom loves gardening. She keeps taking up our space! Hugs, Sam & June
Craig: I have already bookmarked your blog. Will be checking back often.
Lena: I will probably fence that spot. The girls like to go to that corner, especially June, to bark at the neighbor's kids. So, they may step on the seedlings. I will be getting Yukon Gold and Dark Red Norland potatoes. Please tell Kane he is welcome to come play in the snow with Sam & June. He would love it!
Crossview: Officially Spring starts in less than 2 months but up here it's only save to wait till mid May.
Julie: You're welcome.
Oh thanks for the link!
That looks like a great spot for a garden. I never have had good luck with corn, apparently you need a big amount for it to pollinate properly. I hope you have better luck than me!
Post a Comment