Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Apple Spice Cake

Happy New Year everyone! Our new year's weekend was quiet and uneventful but that's fine with me, lots of R&R. Now you would think with my very uneventful holiday schedule, I would bake and bake and bake. I didn't. After baking Christmas cookies and cupcakes, I really haven't been baking any desserts until this passed weekend.

Our friend gave us a gift basket for Christmas and there were some apples in the basket hence this Apple Spice Cake(recipe from The Joy of Cooking cookbook). It's very moist and delicious . If you like your cake a little spicy, add another pinch of spices to the recipe.

Ingredients:

1 cup chopped apples
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

Dry Ingredients
1 1/2 cup flour
1 cup packed brown sugar (light or dark)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
I added a dash of ground ginger too

Wet Ingredients
1 cup buttermilk **Note: I didn't have any buttermilk, so I used 1/4 cup sour cream, mixed with apple cider to make 1 cup
1/2 cup oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons brandy(optional)

Instructions:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8X8 cake pan and line the bottom with parchment paper. I only have a 9" round cake pan so I used that.

2) Peel, core and chop apples and mix that with chopped nuts.

3) Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. Using your fingers, break up any brown sugar clumps into small pieces.

4) In a different medium bowl, mix all the wet ingredients together.

5) Pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients bowl, stir and mix well. Stir in apples and nuts.

6) Pour into baking pan and bake for 40-45 minutes or until toothpick insert in the middle of cake comes out clean. Mine took only 35min because of the bigger cakepan. Cool.

The cake is very delicious without any frosting or glaze. But if you would like, you could serve it with vanilla ice cream or some kind of glaze.
Enjoy!

5 comments:

CrossView said...

"Quiet" and "uneventful" are my favorite kind of weekends!

The recipe looks great! Anything with sour cream in it has to be good. =D

Anonymous said...

Cool apple garnish on top. I love apple spice cake!

Debra said...

Hi YD! Happy New Year to you too! I'm so glad you stopped over! The weather here sounds just like what you got. It was very difficult to walk on our paths-water on top of thick ice. I'm glad it warmed up a little.
since you commented at my blog, you are entered in my give away.
Your cake looks wonderful, and I love your new look at your blog. It's always nice to come here!
~Debra

Erica said...

Yummy, that does sound and look very good. Happy New Year to you :)

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

Crossview: I only like sour cream in baking. I don't really like to use it for my baked potatoes or nachos. Hubby loves it tho.

Warren:Thanks!

Debra: I really can't complain about the weather since we are in the snowplowing business, so it has been great for us this year. :)

Erica: It is very easy to make. I bet you could even make it with apple sauce instead of chopped apples. But I do like the apple chucks in the cake.