Thursday, January 8, 2009

Eggshells

I don't know about you but I'm really looking forward to growing season this year. I know I have a few months to go yet but it's never too early to start planning. Last year was my first year growing plants from seeds and I am hooked!

This year I will be doing the same thing by starting most of my seeds indoor. I know those of you who has the priviledge of long summers will be starting sooner than those of us who are up north. So, here's a tip I would like to share with you. I learned this neat tip from watching an episode of P. Allen Smith Garden Home show.

Use eggshells as your seed starting pots. They are biodegradable and they add nutrients to the soil, specifically calcium. Calcium is an important part in plant growth, as calcium will help stop blossom-end rot. If you would like to learn about blossom-end rot, click here.
Gently wash and dry the eggshells. Pierce the bottoms of eggshells with an ice pick to make a drainage hole. Set the eggshells in the cartons and fill with potting soil. Now you are ready to sow your seeds. When the seedlings are ready to transplant, plant them(with the eggshells) directly in the garden. And there you have it!

10 comments:

CrossView said...

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing this....

wvfarmgirl said...

You're not the only one impatiently awaiting the next growing season! I just got my first seed order from Baker Creek yesterday and I can't stop playing with the seed packets. I don't think there's any hope of recovery from this addiction. :)

Are you growing any pineapple tomatoes this year?

Julie said...

Thanks for the great idea! I was thinking of getting some peat pots, but eggshells I have.

And it will be in the mid-70's today. : ) It won't last , but I'll enjoy it while it does!

Thanks for your kind words, too. Things are already getting better.

Debra said...

I've never seen this, and I will use this tip. Thanks!
Debra

Anonymous said...

I never heard of this! We always throw egg shells in the garden but never tried starting seeds in them. Interesting idea!

Country Girl said...

That is a terrific idea, can't wait to share with hubby. Thanks for sharing!

Lena said...

Hi YD - Thanks for a fantastic tip! I was just looking at seed catalogues this weekend, I have the same addiction as wvfarmgirl, lol. I just cannot wait to grow all the fabulous things I've heard of from other gardeners like you. Oh - my other blog is up now as well, finally. And you can read about our blossom end rot issue last year. I will try the eggshells for all our tomato seeds now! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I also cannot wait to get started! Great tip :)

Anonymous said...

We have done that here for homeschool. It is fun to see little seedling poking out of our blue and green chicken eggs!

Anonymous said...

We have done that here for homeschool. It is fun to see little seedling poking out of our blue and green chicken eggs!