Monday, July 28, 2008

What did I make with my new toy?

I got a phonecall from hubby one day at work and it went something like this:
M: Hey honey, how come this KitchenAid Stand Mixer is still sitting here on the countertop not used?
Y: Ya, how come?
M: Well, since I got that for you for your birthday I think you should use it and make something.**
Y: I'm trying to think of something to make. What would you like?
M: I don't know.
Y: I can make a cake but we just had cake for my birthday. Alright, I'll think of something.
**Note: When he gave me my birthday present, these were his exact words: "I figure if I get you this mixer, I benefit from it too. You get your present and I get my desserts." Hmmm...it's a win-win situation I guess.
Since this would be my first time using a stand mixer, I opted for a recipe from the KitchenAid manual/recipe book:


Cream Puffs/Eclairs

Choux Pastry or in French Pate a Choux:(This recipe came from the KitchenAid manual/recipe book)


Ingredients:
1 cup water
1/2 cup butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1 cup sifted flour
4 large eggs


Instructions:
1) In a sauce pan heat water, butter and salt to a full rolling boil. Reduce heat and quickly stir in flour, mixing vigorously with a wooden spoon until the mixture leaves the sides of the pan in a ball. Remove from heat.
2) Attach bowl and beater and add flour mixture to Bowl. Turn to speed 2 and add eggs, one at a time, beating approximately 30 seconds after each addition. Scrape bowl and beater. Mix at speed 4 for 15 seconds. If you don't have a stand mixer, a hald-held mixer works just fine on medium speed(I've made some eclairs in my "pre-stand-mixer" time)
3) Drop dough from metal mixing spoon onto greased cookie sheet or you could lined it with parchment paper. For eclairs, squeeze through pastry tube or gallon size ziploc bag into any desired shape, forming mounds three inches apart.
4) Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Lower heat to 350 degrees and bake for 25 minutes. Puffs are ready when doubled in size, golden brown and firm to the touch. Remove the puffs from the oven and let cool on the baking sheet. Once cooled, the puffs are ready to be filled.


For Filling, I've previously made some eclairs before using Gale Gand's recipe from The Food Network and I love it.


Ingredients:
2 cups whole, 2 percent fat, or 1 percent fat milk
1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
6 egg yolks
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 tablespoon cold unsalted butter


Instructions:
1) In a medium saucepan, heat the milk and vanilla bean to a boil over medium heat. Immediately turn off the heat and set aside to infuse for 15 minutes. **If you don't have vanilla bean, just use 1 teaspoon of vanilla.
2) In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the cornstarch and whisk vigorously until no lumps remain.
3) Whisk in 1/4 cup of the hot milk mixture until incorporated. Whisk in the remaining hot milk mixture, reserving the saucepan. Pour the mixture through a strainer back into the saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat, whisking constantly, until thickened and slowly boiling. Remove from the heat and stir in the butter. Let cool slightly. Cover with plastic wrap, lightly pressing the plastic against the surface to prevent a skin from forming. Chill at least 2 hours or until ready to serve. The custard can be made up to 24 hours in advance. Refrigerate until 1 hour before using.


To assemble:
1) Make Glaze: In a small saucepan, heat the cream over medium heat just until it boils. Immediately turn off the heat. Put the chocolate in a medium bowl. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and whisk until melted and smooth. Set aside and keep warm. The glaze can be made up to 48 hours in advance. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use, and rewarm in a microwave or over hot water when ready to use.
2) With a serrated knife, slice puffs lengthwise, but not all the way through. Pipe custard mixture into the center. Or for eclairs, use your fingertip to make a hole in the end of each eclair or you can use a chopstick. Using a pastry bag or ziploc bag fitted with a medium-size plain tip, gently pipe the custard into the eclairs, using only just enough to fill the inside (don't stuff them full).
3) Dip the tops of the eclairs or puffs in the warm chocolate glaze and set on a sheet pan. Chill, uncovered, at least 1 hour to set the glaze. Serve chilled.


Note: I have also made some raspberry cream to fill the puffs...more on that recipe later.

Now, making cream puffs or eclairs is quite time consuming but if you love to bake like me, you'll know it's worth the time when you sit down and enjoy the fruit of your labor. Some people will say why go through the trouble, just go to the store and buy them. It's just not the same.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've made this recipe and it's delicious!

Have you made him bread with it? I know that you have a bread machine but it doesn't knead as well as your mixer (trust me). I have a bread recipe on my site which I swear by.

Blessings!
Lacy

Anonymous said...

Cream puffs are close to Heaven on Earth! My mom always made these when I was a kid...for special occasions as they were a bit of work. The pudding the the middle is incredible! Thanks for refreshing my memory!

Julie said...

You are a stronger woman than I am. I gained 10 pounds in the few months following my gift of a Kitchen Aid. I made everything I could think of. Years later, I still love mine. Although, I've never made cream puffs....

CrossView said...

I have to admit I don't LIKE to bake or cook but I really love to eat! =P

I'd love to try those if someone else was making them! LOL!

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

Lacy, I have not tried making bread with it yet but already have plans for it. ;) With all the raspberries I kept picking, I think it's time for some raspberry sweet loaf!
Warren, Welcome to my blog. I'm glad these cream puff brought back memories for you! :)
Julie, I think hubby will be "complaining" very soon about him gaining weight. Hahaha...
Crowwview, Come on by, I will make some more for you. I love to eat too, not just desserts, food in general.

Country Girl said...

Now I really want one of those mixers, I was eyeballing them the other day at the store. I have yet to make éclairs. Maybe this winter when I am spending less time in the kitchen because of all the garden goodies.Lately I feel all I', doing is food prep.