Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Garden Update

Just wanted to give you an update on my garden. I had promised to post some pictures and as you know, I do not(still do not) own a digital camera, so these pictures are not quite up-to-date.
Here's my garden in early April, very bare. It's just a small one, about 10' x 20'. Please click on pictures to view larger image.


Chives and mint and a row of peas that the bunnies devoured.

Those sticks were my "marking" sticks. I used them to mark where I planted seeds, that way I won't acciddentally pull them thinking they are weeds.

Next picture shows when everything just got started. At the bottom of the picture is a row of mesclun mix. In the middle of this picture (which looks like * l *) are a row of radishes and broccolis that had just sprouted. And at the top is a row of onions.


This last picture was taken in early or mid June. All the warm weather plants(tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, beans) had been planted by then. A great thank you to my husband for putting in the sprinkler system for me this year.

I will try my best in describing the layout of my garden according to this picture. Here goes(looking at the picture): To the left of the gate, in the front are chives, mint, mesclun mix, broccolis, radishes(harvested), onions, bok choy(harvested), mibuna(harvested), another row of onions and basil. Starting from the 3rd pole to the end of the garden are all tomatoes, 22 plants in total. To the right of the gate from front are green beans, more mesclun mix, parsley, cucumbers(along the fence), butternut squash, sunflowers(along the fence), green bell peppers and jalapeno.

The garden is coming along very nicely. All the tomato plants are really big and tall now and I have also harvested 5, yes 5 cherry tomatoes! The sunflower plants are way taller then me(I'm 5'3"). One of them is at least 7' or 8' tall! Another one has 1 rust-colored flower that opened up! So exciting! Also harvested are some beans and cucumbers and lots of parsley and basil.
I do have some questions regarding onions to those of you kind readers who have more expertise in gardening than me. This is my first year planting onions and I have read that onions are ready to be pulled when the tops have fallen over. Well, mine are all fallen over and when I pulled one up it's still very small like the size of a golf ball. Should I leave them in the ground and let them keep growing bigger? Will they keep growing bigger? Did I do something wrong that they are not growing? Please help?

10 comments:

wvfarmgirl said...

YD,
RE the onions, sometimes the tops will flop over, but still be green. You want to wait until the tops turn yellow and dry up before pulling the onions. Then pull them up on a dry sunny day and let them lay in the sun for a few days to cure. Then bring them in.

How's the sprinkler system working for you? What time of day do you normally water? Do you find that most of the water ends up on the ground and not evaporating before it hits? I've never tried overhead watering and probably never will, but wanted to get your take on it so far.

I've harvested 65lb of tomatoes in the past two weeks. That first one took forever to ripen and now they all want to join in the fun!

Anonymous said...

65 Lbs of tomatoes! WOW!

Hey YD! I love your garden post and love that you ran through the layout of your garden. I'm always curious about other peoples' gardens!

We never plant onions because I can get them so easily here in Georgia but I've grown leeks. I suggest growing leeks instead if you can. They have wonderful flavor and I much prefer them to onions. I'm trying to think if we ever planted onions when I was growing up... I don't think so.

Blessings!
Lacy

Ann said...

Here in Phoenix (where the high today is like 110), it is SO tough to grow anything - so I envy your fresh grown produce. Oh YUM! :)

CrossView said...

It is coming along nicely! =D
And I can't help on the onions. We don't eat or plant any.... =P

Debra said...

My experience with onions agrees with wvfarmgirl's-let the tops get dead looking. It may be a problem letting them sun dry here. If you have indoor space, spread out some newspaper and let them dry on that, turning them daily. They'll keep longer if you dry them.
Your garden is really nice, and I can't wait for newer pictures.
I love looking at vegt. gardens too, and I'm always thinking I need to go back and take pictures of other people's gardens.
Hey, a little bit of sun out there, huh?
Debra

victoria said...

Thanks so much for your comment on my blog. I have been having a brief read of your blog and love it.

I just have to say your dogs are STUNNING!! I'm so so jealous.

Will catch up on more of your blog soon and i'll add you to my faves!

Lena said...

Hey YD,

Thanks for the update on your garden - it is lovely! :-)) Do your girls lay outside the fence just like Kane does ? Looking at you as if saying: "Why can't we go in there? Can't you come play ball with us?" :-)
I'm growing corn, potatoes, beans, peas, chard, aragula (yum!), herbs, tomatoes and some peppers this year. Lots of flowers in my garden too. I can highly recommend a tomatoe called "German Pink" that I got from SSE. It's HUGE and the tomatoes are awesome! Our corn was a little so-so this year - too dry and too hot.
I'm going to grow onions and garlic in the fall/winter instead (warmer down here in SC!) as well as some cabbage, Bok Choi, chard and spinach. Gardening is fun!
Say hi to your girls - you should all come down and visit us when you're buried in snow!

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

WVFarmgirl, thank you so much for the info. 65lbs of tomatoes? Holy cow! Guess it's tomato sauce time!
Lacy, I have never tried leeks. Perhaps I will give that a try. I like to try new things in my garden.
Ann, I think I would melt in that kind of weather or I'll be very very bitchy.
Crossview, thanks. You don't eat onions? Not even on a hamburger?
Debra, thank you for the tip on onions. Sunny yesterday and partly sunny today. I like looking at vege gardens.
Victoria, thank you for stopping by. I too need to catch up on more of your previous posting.
Lena, hey girl! June always sits in between one of the small shrub outside the gate(in fact he dug a hole in between the shrubs to lay in!). Samantha usually follows me along the other side of the fence and once in a while will back at me like "Hey, can I come in now?" or she'll try to get the marking sticks and bark at me if I don't give one to her through the fence. :-)

Anonymous said...

I also wanted to let you know that you can enter to win a free subscription to GRIT magazine right now... Go to the contests tab on my site.

Country Girl said...

Your gardens look great and the sprinkler system that is awesome!