Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Steamboat

The steamboat I am refering to today is not what you have in mind. I'm not refering to the steamer or steam-powered boats. I am talking about food. Steamboat, also known as Asian Hot Pot, is a type of stew/soup which consists of a simmering pot of stock(it can be chicken stock, beef, seafood, vegetable or even just water) at the center of the dining table with all different kinds of food(uncooked) surrounding it. The cooking pot is fueled by propane or hot coal or electric. The ingredients are placed in the hot pot and cooked at the table. The cooked food is normally eaten with dipping sauces.

Here is an example of a hot pot fueled by hot coal. The pot consists of a few sections. The center(chimney like) part is where the hot coals go to heat the pot/stock. The middle(wider part) is where the stock and food go. The bottom part is where the ashes go.

Here's a picture from a steamboat dinner at my parents house. As you can see, the cooking pot is different than that one from the picture above. This is an electric pot. I'm sure if you have an electric skillet at home, you can use that.

Let's talk about what kind of food to serve at a steamboat dinner. Well, any kind you want. Whatever suits your fancy. Meats(chicken, pork, beef) are normally sliced thin that way it only takes a few minutes to cook. You can serve shrimp, fish, calamari, shellfish...
You can serve all kinds of vegetables: napa cabbage, bok choy, spinach, bean sprout, mushrooms, onions, green beans...You can also serve tofu. There is normally some kind of noodles: rice vermicelli, celofane noodles, rice noodles, udon noodles, spaghetti(if you can't find asian noodles).

About dipping sauces: well my family normally serve saute minced garlic with oil which you drizzle in your bowl of food before consuming it. Most Malaysians love spicy food, so there is almost always soy sauce with lots of chopped chilli pepper.
There you have it. So next time when your kids ask you what's for dinner or if you are having a small dinner party, why not consider making your own Steamboat or Asian Hot Pot. It's so easy and you don't have to spend hours in the kitchen cooking. Just prep your ingredients and you can cook and eat at the table with your family and friends.

12 comments:

warren said...

Oh my word that looks awesome! You could eat all day!

Lena said...

That looks wonderful! I have only had the European versions like fondue (oil, cheese or chocolate) and also Raclette which is the version with small trays and you melt cheese. But I like the idea of broth, seems healthier! Thanks for sharing!

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

Warren: It's great for family gathering or with friends because you can just sit there and chit chat while waiting for the food to cook.

Lena: It is kinda like fondue. The broth makes it a hearty meal, great to have in the winter time.

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

There should have been a warning NOT to read these just before dinner time!

I'm drooling!

Julie said...

That looks really cool. I love food that is both tasty and fun.

yvonne said...

Steamboat is awesome and best served during festivals or family gathering. Too bad the weather in my place here is so HOT and taking steamboat is not a good option.

CrossView said...

Wow! Looks amazing! What a cool concept... I wonder why I've never heard of this before? I'VE BEEN MISSING OUT!

Mochi and Bali said...

Mmm...looks delish! :)

Mochi & Bali

Golden Samantha said...

How yummy yummy yummy! There is a really nice restaurant here that serves a menu of different "hot pots" with both broth or one can order oil, which we've never done. Love the veggies you are using and the fish too! Delish!
Hugs xoxoxo
Sammie and Avalon

1000 Goldens said...

Wow, I've never seen a hot pot before. That looks like a wonderful feast you had with your family. We always learn new things at your blog, thank you!

How Sam Sees It said...

Sounds interesting! We may have to try it!

Sam

Augie and Ti's mom said...

That looks yummy! Reminds me of fondue, which is one of my favorite things to eat! I get the big ol' pot of melted cheese, but you can also get raw meats and things for dipping into a pot of hot oil.