Monday, September 13, 2010

You say Tomato, I say Tomahto

Do you say tomato, or do you say tomahto? Either way, this post is about, you guessed it, tomato!

Summertime means fresh tomatoes. I love fresh tomatoes! I very rarely buy tomatoes from the store and/or when they are not in season. I love eating them fresh from the garden with a little salt and pepper. I love making tomato salad with basil, mozzarella cheese. I love eating tomato sandwiches or BLTs. I love making salsa and pasta sauce....


If you love tomatoes as much as I do and if you have abundance of tomatoes from your garden, you would probably like the recipe that I found. I have made a lot of salsa this year and I've made enough pasta sauce to last us for the next 2 or more years! But I still have tons of tomatoes, what should I make next? Then it hit me! How about tomato jam? So I went on a search quest and found some tomato jam recipes. I made this recipe right away, it is so good on crackers with some cream cheese! Mmmm....


Sweet n' Spicy Tomato Jam - From White on Rice Couple

Note: I made some slight changes, will note them in red

1 lb (455 g) Tomatoes, roughly cut (some varieties may need to be peeled)
1/2 c (45 g) Golden Brown Sugar
1/2 Serrano Chili, seeded & finely diced (or whatever chili you like) I used 2 jalapenos because I like it hot!
4 whole Cloves
1″ stick Cinnamon, preferably Vietnamese Cinnamon I didn't add any cinnamon
1-2 T (15-30 ml) Red Wine Vinegar, depending on how tangy you want it I added 1/2 tablespoon more
1 1/2 T (20 ml) fresh Lime or Lemon juice, lime is our preference I didn't have any lemon/lime so I used Balsamic vinegar instead

1. Combine all ingredients in a saucepan, then simmer over med-low heat. Stir occasionally and gently. Simmer about an hour or until the mixture thickens to a jam-like consistency (who’d have thought.)
2. Put tomato jam into sterilized jars. For longer storage, can in a water bath (cover with water about 1″ above jars & simmer for about 15 min.) or just store in the fridge to keep for a couple weeks.

10 comments:

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

We say yummy!

Actually, the former -

That looks like a very tasty recipe!

Thanks for sharing it!

Golden Samantha said...

Oh boy! Does that ever sound yummerlicious! We didn't grow any veggies this year as we knew we wouldn't be around long enough to care for them as lovingly as veggies need! But I'll take your great idea and pot the sweet potato! Next year!
xoxoxoo
Sammie and Avalon and Ma

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Either pronunciation is fine with us. MOm LOVES fresh tomatoes, but we don't have any growing here. It is really hard to find locally grown tomatoes here. Mom has taken a big liking to the heirloom tomatoes. In fact, she just finished slicing one for her salad before she read this post.

Tomato jam - hmmmm, sounds very interesting. You will have to let us know how it turns out.

Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, and Ciara

Thor and Jack said...

That recipe looks so good! We love fresh tomatoes!

Julie said...

I say that sounds good. I have never had such a relish. Very interesting. I'll have to make it with purchased tomatoes though. :(

Sierra Rose said...

Hi ya pals!!! Thanks for swinging by my bloggie :) Haven't we seen a 5th wheel in your driveway???? (Previous header photo)...no more camping?! :) I get dragged along on these adventures wether I want to or not...but usually there are a few fun things to do :)
Love tomatoes!!! Have one dinky little plant, but it sure is producin'.

Hugs and snaggle-tooth kisses,
Sierra Rose

Kristan Mikala said...

I LOVE tomatoes, LOL!
BLT's, salads, tomato soup, and ESPECIALLY fried green tomatoes. YUM.
If you've never had fried green tomatoes, you are missing out on something divinely delicious (in my estimation, that is!)

I don't have any 'mater plants of my own, but I'd love to try that recipe of yours some time. Sounds yummy!

Oh, and I say "tuh-mah-toe"... ;o)

Mrs. JP said...

Wow, who would have thought of that? That sounds good!

1000 Goldens said...

What a cool idea! I'm suddenly craving tomatoes...

Lena said...

That sounds yummy! Next year when we are back to a great tomato year, I will have to make this! :-)