Monday, June 7, 2010

Rhubarb-Apple-Ginger Butter

A co-worker of mine brought in a bunch of rhubarbs, and if you know me, I never pass up any free fruits/veggies(the ones that I don't have growing). So I brought some home with me and then figured out what to do with them later.

I've seen a recipe for Orange Rhubarb Butter on Food In Jars and I was going to make that. But my computer was "out of commission" so I couldn't get to the recipe. What's a girl to do? I made up my own! The end product is sweet with a little tang. If you do try this recipe, will you please be so kind and come back to let me know what you think? Thank you.

Rhubarb-Apple-Ginger Butter

Ingredients:
  • 3 cups chopped rhubarb
  • 1 cup chopped apple
  • A little less than 1/4 cup finely minced ginger
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup orange juice

Instructions:

  • Mix everything in a medium saucepan and bring the mixture to a boil.
  • Lower the heat to low and simmer for about an hour. The end product looks somewhat like apple sauce.
  • Immediately ladle hot butter into canning jars and process jars according to canning instrustions. It will make about 2 pints. I did not can this batch, I just put them in air-tight containers and store them in the fridge.

11 comments:

Mrs. JP said...

I've never had rhubarb in my life! Growing up, I never had veges outside of corn, green beans, and black eyed peas - literally! So, now I'm so blessed to have married JP who is willing to try most anything. What does this end product taste like? Keep in mind I've never had rhubarb pie :O)

Lena said...

I want some rhubarb! I'm going to MI in a few weeks and I'm going to stuff my suitcase full of that stuff!
I LOVE it in any shape, way or form.
Your recipe sounds delish. I will have to add it to my list!

animal lover, quilt lover said...

I have never had rhubarb in my life either!!! I grew up having only corn and geen beans!!! Thank God for a girlfriend whos Mother cooked a lots of vegs. But never rhubarb.... I have never seen any at the farmers market either. I don't think it grows in the south, does it??
XO, Fern

Julie said...

Hmm. I've never used rhubarb for anything other than a pie. Sound interesting.

The last time I bought rhubarb, I had to tell the checkout girl what it was. She said she had never seen it before. : )

Scout and Freyja said...

How absolutely WONDERFUL! Thanks so much for sharing!

Golden Woofs! SUGAR said...

Woof! Woof! It's very interesting. Ginger??? Oh! what happened to your weekly menu? Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

CrossView said...

Now that does sound interesting! I've yet to try rhubabrb, either. And I've only ever heard of rhubarb/strawberry pie. I'm guessing that rhubarb is grown mainly in the north?!!

Paco,Milo, Maya and mommy Simona said...

mmMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.....
We never had rhubarb in our life.....but sounds delicious!!!!
Can we have some pleaseeeeeeee???
;-))))
Ehy girls.....we missed you tons!!!!
Sorry for our absence around you and your blog....

Are you all ok???
We read all your previous post and you both look sooooooooooooooo beautiful as always!!!!

WE LOVE YOU tons and paco and Maya are sending special thanks to you for your sweet wishes!!!!!!
You're such a special friends of us!!!
Take care....

Tons of love and kisses and sweet licks and huge hugs!!!!

MUAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Anonymous said...

My mom loves rhubarb - she will definitely be testing out this recipe!

Wags and Kisses,
Wrigley

Mack and Mia said...

Ooooo that sounds so NOMMY!

I am getting this to momma RIGHT NOW!

Wags and Woofs,
Mack and Mia

Sierra Rose said...

Oh oh!!! I've tried the brick, but the others look way cool and super fun too!! Will have to keep an eye out.
Butter recipe sounds delicious :)

Hugs and snaggle-tooth kisses,
Sierra Rose