I am all pea'd out. I've been picking and eating a lot of peas lately. I have been picking peas almost every other day and thank goodness I think they are almost done. You see, in the previous years I almost never planted enough peas, not even enough to make it out of the garden. So this year I went crazy and planted the entire package of seeds. Now, I have
endless peas. I've given some away and I've freeze some.
This are garlic scapes. Scapes are immature flower stalks from garlics. They should be removed in order to focus all the garlic's energy into bulb growth, that way you get bigger bulbs. But don't throw the scapes away! The scapes are delicious when cooked(or you can eat it raw). They taste just like garlic. You can stir-fry them, steam them, or saute them.

Below are pictures of my garden.
In the far end are peas, some NG Impatiens, 3 types of peppers(Jalapenos, Sweet Banana & Italian Pepperoncini), Marigold and Eggplants. In the front are various tomatoes(Opalka, Yellow Pear, Black Cherry, Betterboy, Beefmaster, Cherokee Purple) with basil and marigold in between.

My Three-Sisters planting: Corn(Sugar Buns), Beans(Chinese Red Noodle) and Squash(Pumpkin & Sweet Dumpling)

Three-sisters planting in the back left. Front left: cukes, zukes and sweet potatoes.
On the right: 4 varieties of Garlics and next to them are my row of herbs and onions.

Another look at the garlics. Behind the garlics are carrots, which you can't see from the picture.

My potatoes: Yukon Gold, Dark Red Norland, Laratte fingerlings and All Blue. In the far right end are some strawberries.
12 comments:
LOL @ "Pea'd out". Though I imagine you'll be thankful much later when you still have some in the freezer. MUCH later. ;o)
Your garden looks great! Hope you get much fresh food!
Wow, you've got a huge garden there! What an undertaking. Hey, we're growing Cherokee Purple maters this year, I think they are one of the strongest tomato plants I've ever had. When I plant the tomato plants I put a banana peel in each hole - something I read to give them extra sweetness and a potassium boost as they grow.
Woof! Woof! WOW! Mom is very jealous ... for years she wanted to have a vegetable garden but it was not a success so she finally gave up. Well, part of it it's my fault. for sure you'll find a great recipe for the peas. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar
Mom says she khan nevFUR eat too many peas!
Thanks fur sharing that pawesome garden!
So many yummy things!
Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra
Mmmm - it all looks good. Wish we had room to plant a garden!
Wags and Kisses,
Wrigley
I could not be more jealous. It all looks fabulous.
Aren't you glad you started growing garlic? :) I found a recipe for Garlic Scape Risotto, I'll see if I can find it again...
I, on the other hand, don't have enough peas this year. A lot of mine didn't germinate, I don't know why. Neither did the carrots, and they're in the same bed. They didn't like something I guess.
Oh Sam and June,
I would love to live near you guys!!!!!!! I would love to have a wonderful garden like you have, but Tom and I are old and we can't take care of a big garden like we use to years ago. I love all those fresh vegs tho and if I was close you could share with me!!lol You would, wouldn't you??? Love love your garden!!!
XXoo, Fern
Yay - a garden update! Looks great - it looks so much bigger from previous years. I love the title of this post too! lol - made me laugh!
Our peas got too hot and dried up - oh well, we'll plant earlier next year!
Hope it continues to grow well!
What a fantastic garden!!! We're hoping to get a few potted tomatoes in here soon... :)
Hugs and snaggle-tooth kisses,
Sierra Rose
Impressive. I've managed to burn up more gardens than I care to admit. Looks like you could offer a few pointers!
I am jealous of your garlic...ours all was lost to flooding. Anyhow, this is our first year to plant corn and beans together...I can't wait to see how it goes! Yours look great!
Post a Comment