Monday, March 29, 2010

Blueberry Muffins Anyone?

Do you like blueberry muffins? If you do, you're in for a treat. I am sharing with you this great blueberry muffins recipe. I have tried several recipes before and this is the one that I am keeping and I have been using this recipe over and over.

I first saw this recipe on Cook's Country on TV. The muffins look so delicious that I just had to try it myself. Here are a few notes from Cook's Country about making delicious blueberry muffins:

  • To prevent a streaky batter, leave the blueberries in the freezer until the last possible moment.
  • Wyman's brand frozen wild blueberries are their first choice.
Posted by Picasa
Blueberry Streusel Muffins
For the Streusel
  • 1 1/2 cups AP flour
  • 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon(tsp) ground cinnamon
  • pinch salt
  • 7 tablespoons(tbsp) unsalted butter, melted
For the Muffins
  • 4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly, plus extra for preparing muffin tins
  • 2 cups AP flour, plus extra for preparing muffin tin
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp grated lemon zest
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 cups frozen blueberries
Instructions:
1. For the streusel: Combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, and salt in bowl. Drizzel with melted butter and toss with fork until evenly moistened and mixture forms large chunks with some pea-sized pieces throughout.
2. For the muffins: Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 375 F degrees. Grease and flour muffin tins(12 small or 6 jumbo. Instead of greasing, you can also use cupcake liners, easier that way). Whisk egg in medium bowl for about 30 seconds until pale and combined. Add vanilla, sugar and zest and whisk vigorously until think, 30sec. Slowly whisk in melted butter; add buttermilk and whisk until combined.
3. Reserve 1 tbsp flour. Whisk remaining flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Fold in egg mixture until nearly combined. Toss blueberries with reserved flour and fold into batter until just combined.
4. Divide batter in muffin tin and top with streusel. Bake until light golden brown and toothpick inserted into center of muffin comes out with few dry crumbs attached, about 20-25mins. (I normally make the jumbo sized muffins, those take about 30-35mins) Cool muffins in tin for 10min then remove to wire rack.

12 comments:

Mrs. JP said...

Yum, yum, yummy, yum. I like muffins with streusel on top. That's a good tip about keeping the berries frozen until the last minute.

CrossView said...

Ohmy! I'd like them fresh out of the oven and slathered with butter. *drools*

1000 Goldens said...

Oh my gosh, it doesn't matter that it's almost bed time for me - my mouth is now watering for a beautiful muffin and cup of hot coffee!

Yeong Shong said...

yummy.....I want to try make this...but blueberries cost a whole lot here......
Now that Grace has started school, I need to sometimes make food for her school parties...

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

Mom says thank dog she pikhked up that big bag of KettleKhorn...

Otherwise she'd be drooling fur Blueberry Muffins!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Jody M said...

For some reason, I've never been a huge blueberry muffin fan. Other than throwing them in pancakes, I usually do a couple of these Alaskan Blueberry Coffee Cakes each summer with fresh blueberries: http://thepawpawpatch.blogspot.com/2009/07/alaskan-blueberry-coffee-cake.html

animal lover, quilt lover said...

That sounds so good!!!! I am going to book mark that recipe too!!! THANK-YOU!!!! I watch Cooks Country too and love the show!!
I always love your visits b/c we have a lot in common!!!
Have you started your seeds yet??
We have LOTS of seeds started and a pretty good bunch of plants going outside already. Love this time of year, the growing time!!!
Hugs, Fern

animal lover, quilt lover said...

Hi friend, have you become a follower of my blog yet???????
If not please be my guest and become one..

Lena said...

Yum! Those look delicious! We love blueberries too! :-) Thanks for sharing!

Meeka said...

I'm sure mom will try the recipe. Mom let me try one blueberry and I spit it out. It was kinda sourish.

Mochi and Bali said...

YUM! They look soooo good! Mom loves blueberry muffins! :)

Mochi

My Sons Mum said...

they look so good! also i thic the word streusel is fantastic!