Monday, August 4, 2008

When Life Gives You...

...Raspberries, make JAMS! That's what I've been doing lately.

Before raspberry season started, I said to myself: "Self, gotta go pick some raspberries this year. Better go find out where and when they are available". Well, came to find out, my neightbor across the street has tons of raspberry(red and black) bushes and he said I can pick them because he doesn't pick as much. Woohoo!

So I picked and I picked and I picked somemore.....I think I'm addicted to berry picking. Should I sign up for BPA(Berry Picking Anonymous)?

I've been making jams with these delicious berries. I managed to make a batch of Black Raspberry Jam and 2 batches of Red Raspberry Jams.
I don't normally eat toast or english muffins for breakfast. So, how do I get to enjoy my own homemade jams? Easy, use them in baking. But I have also recently tried something different. Instead of buying flavored yogurt for breakfast, I buy plain yogurt and I just mix in 1 or 2 teaspoons of jam with 8oz. of yogurt and some fresh fruits(or not) . Delicious!

And as for baking, try this:

Raspberry Cheesecake
Recipe taken from Philadelphia Cream Cheese Homepage, with my own twist!

Ingredients:
2 packages of cream cheese
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract or raspberry extract
3 tablespoons raspberry jam (for marble effect)
1 pre-made graham cracker crust
3/4 cup raspberry jam (for extra flavor!)

Instructions:
1) Preheat oven to 350.
2) Mix cream cheese and sugar(with your stand mixer or using hand held mixer) until smooth and creamy.
3) Add vanilla and eggs, one at a time. Scrapping bowl after each addition. Mix until blended.
4) Spread 3/4 cup raspberry jam over graham cracker crust then pour in cream cheese mixture. 5) Dot top of cheesecake by small spoonful with the remaining 3 tablespoons of raspberry jam. Cut through batter with knife several times for marble effect.
6) Bake in oven for 30-35 minutes or until the center is almost set. Cool. Refrigerate at least 3 hours or overnight before serving.

Now go make some and enjoy. If you are nice, you could share but I won't blame you if you don't want to share! :-)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum! Those jars are so lovely.

Julie said...

I love raspberries! If we had fresh raspberries here, my son would eat them before they could become jam.

Another idea, make a yellow cake and use the jam between the layers. Then slather the whole thing in chocolate frosting. Yum!

Anonymous said...

We got majorly addicted to picking blackberries this year...If you find a BPA chapter, can you let me in on it? we canned 54 half pints of jam and froze about that much more. We eat the jam on pancakes/waffles and on ice cream too. Delicious!

Ann said...

Raspberry is actually my favorite, seeds and all. You throw in that cheesecake and *BOOM*, I'm done. :)

Country Girl said...

I like berry picking too and cannot wait to have more available on the farm. We will have some blackberries coming in soon and I'd like to try and make some jam which I've never done before. The cheesecake sounds great, I'll have to try. ~Kim

CrossView said...

Looks so pretty! =D

And everything sounds delicious!

We have blackberries everywhere. And I could do so much like you did with the raspberries. But my husband doesn't like them.

Jody M said...

Hi! My life is getting a bit back to normal. Max is doing well, posted a bit about him and updated my garden blog so go take a look.

We have more blackberries and blueberries than we know what to do with, so this weekend I think we're going to make some jam and can it for the first time ever. I'm a bit nervous about canning, I've never done it before....eek.

Debra said...

Such beautiful jars of jam. They will look even prettier in winter.
I made freezer jam last year and still have some left over. The berries weren't as plentiful this year.
I drooled over your cheese cake recipe.
That may be my next venture in the kitchen!
Debra

Anonymous said...

Raspberries are such wonderful little bits of joy. I love that burst of flavor when you first bite into a fresh, tart raspberry -- still warm from the sun. Oh, yummy.

Julie has some pretty nifty thoughts. I also like to roll out my bread dough and then create a braid with the jam in the center. Chocolate chic did a post about that a few months ago, I think. It's a super way to use jam!

Blessings!
Lacy

Farmhouse Blessings said...

Those jars look like sparkling jewels. Just beautiful!

Blessings,
Lea

It's me said...

Wish I'd have seen this before I used the last of my whopping 5 pints of raspberries. This is really the first year I've had a crop of any size. Woot! Woot!

Thanks for stopping by my place. :)

~Peace, Meadowlark