Thursday, August 14, 2008

Sunflowers


Just wanted to share with you a picture of my sunflowers. This picture was taken at work at my desk. I was able to cut 4 of them from my sunflower plants because these are on the lower part of the plants. The rest are way too high for my reach. My sunflower plants are at least 12 - 14ft tall! I promise to take more pictures of them for you.
I would like to know how to save sunflower seeds for next year's garden. If you have done it before or if you know how to, could you please let me know? I thank you in advance!
>>>Breaking News: This just in, after many hours of back-breaking labor in googling "how to save sunflower seeds", I have came upon a site with very useful information: http://www.southernliving.com/southern/gardens/seasonal_gardens/article/0,28012,1116001,00.html

9 comments:

wvfarmgirl said...

I love the new header!!! That's awesome! One of these days I'll come up with something decent for my blog. Maybe. :)

I can't help you with the sunflowers, that's something I've never saved. I would assume you'd just wait until they are "ripe", cut off the heads and hang them upside down somewhere dry until they fall out. But I'm sure someone else has a better way!

Julie said...

How pretty. I'm so jealous. I want tall sunflowers.

And I love the new header. Nice.

Anonymous said...

You do have beautiful looking sunflowers! How many seeds do you get from a full-grown head? Do you eat them or feed to the birds?

Country Girl said...

Sunflowers are some of my favorites. I'd say, remove the seeds, let dry and store.
Like your new header, sweet couple there! :) ~Kim

Debra said...

Hi YD! Your pictures are so nice.

I have just let the flower heads dry on the stalk. When they look dry enough, you can rub them off and store in a paper envelope which is put in a big tin. I have had critters get the seeds in storage.(they won't in a tin, though) A paper envelope to store them in just so no mold will grow. I bet that site had better advice than this...If ya let the flowers get older, you will have baby sunflowers from them next year. Mine always re-seed. I haven't on-purpose planted them in years.
Debra

CrossView said...

The new header looks great! You are adorable!

I love sunflowers and I'm glad you found the information you needed...

Country Girl said...

Here is a good post about seed saving I just came across. ~Kim

Juri said...

Oh my, those are the most beautiful sunflowers I have ever seen!

Juri

Anonymous said...

I love the header, too! Sunflower seeds are so yummy! I could SO go for a handful right about now.

Pretty!

Blessings!
Lacy