I love fresh cherries. If you love cherries you know that the pits are quite a pain, especially if you want to can them for future enjoyment in the winter time. Those of you who own a cherry pitter, it's easy for you. I do not have a cherry pitter, so I have been just cutting the cherries in half then dig out the pit.
Well, not anymore! I have found a way to pit those cherries without a pitter. All you need is a pair of chopsticks(which you can get for free at the Chinese Take-Outs) and an empty glass bottle(small mouth bottle).
Place and hold the cherry on top of the bottle(that's why you need a small mouth bottle, so that the cherry doesn't fall into the bottle). Using just 1 chopstick, poke the cherry in the middle until the pit falls through. The bottle acts as the pit collector.
And there you have it.
I used a glass bottle because it's sturdy. I don't know if a plastic bottle would work as it's not as sturdy. Also I don't think a kabob skewer would work because it's not as think as a chopstick.
13 comments:
Great idea...and you added a musical instrument to your collection as well...I bet the pits in the bottle make a lot of racket if you shake it!
You are right Warren!
What a fine idea! Now I know how to do this next year when the cherries are ripe on our tree. We've got to get them before the birds, though.
thanks, YD!
Good idea. It is great to make a tool out of things that you have kicking around the house.
Now that's a creative idea! =D
But I don't know how you keep from eating them all.... =/
Very clever! I just love finding simple ways to do things.
Smiles,
Lea
How delightfully clever! And you made me laugh out loud: "those of you who have a cherry pitter, it's easy for you..." You know, they're not that expensive!! lol but I must say, the chopstick method just sounds more fun!! :)
thanks for the comment on my blog! Hope you're having a great cherry picking day. Been there done that.
love jessica
Well, aren't you the clever one. I wish cherries grew better down here. I love them fresh and cherry pie is my husband's favorite.
pure genius i tell you!
You are so cool! One of these days, we've got to hang out. I'm telling you -- we would have a blast!
Blessings!
Lacy
Debra: You're welcome. I wish I have a cherry tree. Funny thing is I didn't use to like cherries. In fact the first time I ever tried one was one of those dried cherries and I hated it and for the longest time I just hated everything and anything cherry...now I love them(just the fresh ones)...go figure...
Kim: It is great to utilize things around the house as a tool.
Crossview: With lots of discipline.
Lea: Thanks!
Jessica: I know they are not that expensive. I had actually been looking at the store and online but one day I just had this idea. I actually have never been cherry picking before. I would like to but I don't really know any U-pick cherry farms around.
Julie: Well thank you. I love fresh cherries(see comment to Debra above)...have never made a cherry pie before.
Gigi: Thank you. Now we need some cherry desserts.
Lacy: You are one cool girl yourself! I KNOW we would have a blast. One day, some day, we'll make it to Georgia. Or if you do come up to NY be sure to let me know!
I love the header you designed!!! Awesome!!!
COOL! Do you know if you send a great tip into Cooks Illustrated and they accept it, you get a free subscription? :)
Post a Comment