This is sorta a rant/vent kinda post. I has been bugging me so I thought I would mention it and would like to get your thoughts on it.
If you remember about my post from about a month ago about Pepper and Jack, my neighbor's dogs. You see I have been petsitting Pepper & Jack every Friday since she came. Now don't get me wrong, I love dogs and I don't mind petsitting but petsitting(especially a puppy who isn't quite housetrained yet) every Friday for about 4 hours is getting a little much. Friday evenings are the end of a work week for hubby and I and somedays we would just like to be in the comfort of our home to relax with our girls. I just thought that my neighbor should start training Pepper at a young age to get her used to the music(his band plays in his basement every Friday night).
Another thing is regarding Jack. He has been bringing Jack over to our yard every other day sometimes everyday and leaving him in our yard for at least an hour or so. Now Jack recognize my truck so when I get home from work he just cries and barks wanting to come over but Jack doesn't really want to come over to play with June or Sam. He is so fixated on birds/birds shadows/chipmunks that he is constantly chasing them around and also digging. But he is digging in our yard. Because of the length of time he leaves Jack in our yard, we can't possible stay outside with him at all times. That time is when I need to get dinner ready. Hubby had mentioned to the neighbor that Jack has been digging in our yard and the respond he got was:"well that's what Jack does." I also have a section of fence that is a little bent over(it doesn't have the top support) and I noticed that Jack has been jumping on it. I just don't want him to accidentally jump out of the fence and dissapear but like I said, I cannot be outside to supervise him at all times especially when I'm not even asked to petsit because he was just left in our yard. I don't mind if the neighbor brings Jack and Pepper over to let them play with the girls for 20-30 minutes. What I do mind is when he just leaves them there and he would go back to his house. I just really don't know how to handle this situation.
11 comments:
Wow -
I can see the challenges presented by this one -
I have no advice but I know throwing it out 'here' will help due to the input of others who might have encountered the same situation -
Good Luck !
Khyra's Mom
Well you have a problem!!! I can't see a good way out of it either!!
No matter what you do it will probably not end well. Your neighbor is not being a good neighbor. Maybe that's how you should look at it. Don't worry about the neighbors feelings, just tell them out right unless I am petsitting the dogs stay in their own yard, period!
I think that is what I would do.
I am cooking for Bambi now and I tell what I am cooking for her on my blog, come and see.
XXO, Bambi & Fern
YD!!! I came to visit for a belated thank you for the sweet potato advice!!! But here is a big problem! If my "good-natured pet sitting offer" was abused, I think I'd have to respect myself (yourself) and Sam and Avalon enough to say something that was well-crafted. Something that wouldn't offend, but get your points across; you might have to carefully plan and write down what you need to say. Do Samantha and June even like their dogs? Would they take care of/would you even want them to watch Samantha and June in exchange if you wanted to go out with hubby? When I was much younger, I often got into trouble with generosity and if you don't get paid back in equal portions, it's not fair!!!!
Anyhoo, I think I've said too much! You are too sweet!
xoxoxoxo
Sammie and ma
I would make myself unavailable for a few Friday nights forcing him to work out an alternative. Also, you could tell him his dogs' bad behavior (digging and jumping fences) is teaching your dogs undesirable behaviors. Dogs will follow other dogs!
Tough situation - I wish you the best of luck!
Wags N Kisses,
Wrigley
Oh, wow! Poor you! If it were us, Guy would probably go and talk to him because he knows i'm too much of a sucker. =/
I'd resent the fact that they're taking advantage but I wouldn't want to say anything. Which is why Guy would handle it. He's pretty polite but blunt...
I'm so sorry!
OH,OH,,,what Wrigley and Crossview said!!! We've been caught in a similar situation and the only thing to do is be HONEST and, if you have to be, BLUNT. It's said that your generous spirit has been abused--don't let this make you bitter. It you let it go on too long the bitter root will take hold and then who suffers?....You and your patient hubby--not neighbor.
I agree with CrossView and Mrs JP and many others - time to put a STOP to this. Especially since you're going to become less and less....um, agile? :-)
You need to be blunt and honest and say NO to the Friday night dog-sitting (or just go do something else one Friday!), and politely say that you do not want Jack in your yard unsupervised.
People that take advantage suck. Kane will come over and have a "chat" with him, if you want him to. Many hugs - hope it works out for tomorrow!
I agree with the others. Treat the situation as if the dogs were children. You would not allow children to be sent over all the time, especially when you can't watch them closely enough. Tell the neighbor that the dogs are welcome ONLY WHEN THEY ARE INVITED!!! Explain that the dogs need to adapt to their own environment (which they will) so you will no longer be available for the Friday evenings. Reinforce the dangers about the fence. And make it clear that you cannot have your yard destroyed so you will invite the dogs only when you are able to watch them.
Good luck. And if all else fails, give us his email address and we'll send him a few messages ourselves.
If after your talk and he doesn't see your point then this tells you the kind of person he truly is. Hope it works out for the best.
There's nothing worse that doing people favors, and then they start taking you for granted. I sure hope you find a solution, I feel bad for you :(
Youza! Hmmmm....we have a few neighborhood kids that earn money walking or just spending time with our doggies. They charge $3 for 30 minutes of training (you tell them exactly how to) or a walk up a giant hill!!
Hope your Friday eves soon become YOUR Friday eves again :)
Hugs and snaggle-tooth kisses,
Sierra Rose
Post a Comment