Sunday, July 18, 2010

Zucchinis

If you are a gardener, by now you probably have zucchinis coming out of your ears! What to do with all that zucchinis? You can eat them right away, or freeze them for later use, give some away to families and friends but you are still left with loads and loads of zucchinis!
Have no fear my friends. I've got some recipes for you to help you "get rid" of those zucchinis. I was over at my friend's Lena's blog and saw her grandmother's recipes for pickles. I thought I would give that a try but use zucchinis instead(I don't have as much cucumbers yet). I hope they will taste good.
I've also went online and searched for some Zucchini Pickles and Zucchini Relish. I've never made these recipes before. If you do try them, please write back to me and let me know how they turn out.

You can also make zucchini bread(s). Hubby loves zucchini bread, that's the only way he would eat zucchinis. The recipe I have is actually a Banana bread recipe, I just adapted it to make zucchini bread. It's not a very sweet bread. If you like them to be sweet, please increase the sugar amount. I've also heard that zucchini & blueberries bread is pretty good. I've found a recipe but have not try it out yet.




Zucchini Bread

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 1/2 cup shredded zucchini
  • 1 1/2 AP flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 - 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup chopped nuts, optional
Instructions:
  • Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9 x 5(or smaller) loaf pan and set aside.
  • Cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
  • Add eggs, one at a time, beating well and scrape the sides of bowl after each addition.
  • Stir in shredded zucchini and vanilla.
  • Combine all dry ingredients(except nuts) and add to wet mixture. Mix well.
  • Fold in chopped nuts if desired.
  • Pour into prepare pan and bake for 30-35 minutes(for 9 x 5 pan).
Please also check out Vegetable Gardener In the Kitchen section and search for zucchini. There are some mouth-watering recipes.

14 comments:

Julie said...

Are you ready for this? I have never been able to grow zucchini. No one in Houston has that I have ever known. Must be something in the humidity. Yours looks lovely though!

Mrs. JP said...

I planted only one plant in my garden and am still having to give them away. We're only eating them sauteed with olive oil thought. I didn't know they freeze well. I'll have to do that.

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Those zucchinis do seem to increase and multiply. Mom says zucchini bread is good and likes how it is moist. We see she has zucchini and pattypan squash ready for dinner here now.

Wonder if we will get to taste it?

Woos ~ Phantom, Thunder, and Ciara

Golden Woofs! SUGAR said...

Woof! Woof! My mom loves zucchini bread ... its time consuming to make but its delicious. Thanks for sharing your recipes. Lots of Golden Woofs, Sugar

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

I've got one sitting on the counter -

I bought it when I got some peaches and cucumbers earlier this week -

Hmmm - interesting about a combo with blueberries -

Of course, as I type this, my second Blueberry Buckle of the week is cooling -

Meeka said...

I love zucchinis. Mom steams them, chops them and mixes it with my dinner.

CrossView said...

We just finished off our crop from last year...

I didn't plant much last year or this so I may not have much extra. But I do want to try the bread. I've read that zucchini is moist and that's what makes it good for breads and pies.

Reanaclaire said...

hello..greetings to you.. what a beautiful cake to welcome my eyes just a moment ago... lol...

1000 Goldens said...

Mmm...zucchini bread :)

foodbin said...

have not try zucchini bread.

Sierra Rose said...

Yum yum yum! Looks delicious :)

Hugs and snaggle-tooth kisses,
Sierra Rose

Lena said...

Would you believe I'm getting ready to plant MORE zucchini? :-) lol. I must be crazy! Maybe I'll rethink that and plant more pumpkins instead!
I hope the pickled zucchinis turn out good! :-)

Augie and Ti's mom said...

Mmmm, zucchini! I eat mine sliced, sauted in oil and onions, then added to scrambled eggs. On nice fresh Italian bread. YUMMY.

warren said...

I love zuke pickles! We prefer them to pickles made from cukes...well done!