How's your garden doing? Is it slowing down? Is it completely done? Or are you still picking like crazy? Do you have a Fall Garden or is it time to "pack up" and rest?Well since my summer garden was kinda a "flop", I thought I should at least try for a fall garden. This year has been weird(weather wise) for the garden. It got too hot too early(in May), then we had all the rain, then the temp. wasn't hot enough when it was suppose to(from June - Aug), then it got hot at the wrong time(late Aug)...
Back in late August when I posted an update of the garden, I had planted some radishes but with this weird weather, it got really hot for a few weeks late August and early September, so the radishes bolted(same thing happened in April!). Not wanting to give up, I replanted some more radishes.
So for my fall garden, here's what I've got planted:
- 2 types of radiches - the regular reddish kind and watermelon radish
- Some mesclun mix
- Fennels - First time planting fennels, can't wait!
- Some bok choy
Picture above is 1 out of the 2 heads of cabbage that I managed to harvest. The rest were eaten by some creatures the next day! Aaarrrrggggghhhh! Where were my dogs when I need them? Some watchdogs they are.
Samantha & June: You are fired!
14 comments:
I think Sam and June know those khritters need to eat too!
Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra
Nice cabbage! Oh - Sammy and June, you need to get better at this watchdog thing!! :-)
Because I don't have enough things to do (haha) at the moment, I've planted beets and aragula in the garden, and I've planted seeds indoors for more lettuce, bok choy, green and red cabbage and broccoli. Now I need to find time to transplant them and plant them outside. All before Oct 10.
Perhaps you feel like a nice southern vacation all of a sudden??? :-)))))
Oh, and garlic and onion will be arriving shortly.
Compared to my summer plantings, your summer garden was a rousing success!
My fall garden is already experiencing some stumbling blocks. Caterpillars and fungus. I just planted some lettuces, carrots, and onions the other day. We'll see what happens.
We have no luck with vegetable gardens here. Between the rabbits and the deer, they just don't survive. Even our flowers take a beating. So we congratulate on whatever you harvested. We just pulled a lot of our annuals over the weekend, time for the mums to move in.
Woos, the OP Pack
Any harvest would be a good harvest for us this year. I hope your fall plantings do well!
Are you sure Sam and June arent the critters that ate the cabbage - mine think vegetables are candy!!
Woodrow - Sweetie - MJ
Oiy.... our garden has deteriorated. The tomato plant has just about died (it is diseased), but the basil and rosemary are flourishing!
Your cabbage looks swonderful!
Gardening up here in Michigan was horrible this year. Too cold early in the summer to make anything grow and then come September we finally get heat and sun. Go figure. Sadly, nothing grew well, not even the weeds☺
Reading missed posts and so sorry we haven't visited in so long - hope June is better now... That cabbage is amazing - no blemishes at all! Can't wait to hear about the progress of your new plantings! Still picking strawberries and harvested a whole lot of little seedless green grapes yesterday and made jelly today from them (jelly turns out red, oddly enough!). Still have more grapes ugh! Hey Samantha and June - get those cabbage stealing varmints!
xo Sammie
Your cabbage looks great! Mom's garden didn't do well and whatever was left died while they were away. She forgot to get someone to take care of the plants while we were all away. Oh well...gotta start over! :)
Mochi
You're awesome - I can't imagine knowing I grew a whole big cabbage. I need to get off my rump and try a real garden next year!
I know how you feel. Yesterday (with 6 dogs between us) JP walked right in the house. I got no warning or even the usual "daddy's home" happy bark.
Our garden is done except for peppers that I could probably pick until Christmas. It's all gonna be pulled up and the ground tilled so I can rest for next year. We were really blessed this year.
We're done garden-wise and I am glad. It's been a frustrating year for us. We got a few things, but mostly it was a failure with all of our rain. Still, your cabbage looks great! It's hard to beat!
We don't have much luck with gardens in Arizona... I bet Sammy and June had fun watching the critters eat the vegetables. Sam would probably point out the best ones to visiting rabbits!
Post a Comment