I apologize for lack of blogging on my part lately. The dogs, on the other hand(or should I say on the other paw) have been blogging faithfully every Friday. I know they just love to blog about themselves. I have been quite busy at work and haven't have a chance to upload pictures of my seedlings. I promise I will do that soon and do a garden update. But for now, please enjoy this recipe of Chewy Granola Bars.
I have been making these yummy chewy granola bars. I actually like these better than the crunchy ones that I posted here a few weeks ago. The recipe came from Baker's Banter. Please click on over for step-by-step instructions with pictures as well as tips about making this recipe. I changed a few things on that recipe, mainly because I wanted to use what I had in my pantry. I will note the changes I made in pink.
Chewy Granola Bars
Ingredients:
1 2/3 cups quick rolled oats (I used old-fashined oat and it worked fine)
1 cup + 2 tablespoons Sticky Bun Sugar (I didn't have that, so I just used brown sugar)
1/3 cup granulated sugar, optional (see "tips" at Baker's Banter)
1/3 cup oat flour (or 1/3 cup quick oats, processed till finely ground in a food processor or blender) (I didn't use either. I used wheat germ instead)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, optional (I used 1/2 tsp)
2 to 3 cups dried fruits and nuts* (I used dried cranberries and raisins but next time I would cut down on the amount of sugar because it was quite sweet)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup melted butter or vegetable oil
1/4 cup honey, maple syrup or corn syrup (I used dark corn syrup but I really would like to try using honey or maple syrup)
1 tablespoon water
*We like 1/2 cup each dried cranberries, chopped dried apricots, chopped pecans, sunflower seeds, and coconut. Walnuts, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds, dried cherries or apples, or even chocolate chips would all be delicious as well.
Instructions:
1) Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9" x 13" pan.
2) Stir together all the dry ingredients, including the fruit and nuts.
3) In a separate bowl, whisk together the vanilla, melted butter or oil, syrup or honey, and water.
4) Toss the wet ingredients with the dry until the mixture is evenly crumbly.
5) Spread in the prepared pan, shaking the pan to evenly cover the bottom and patting down gently (I sprayed my hands with Pam before speading the mixture in the pan)
6) Bake the bars for 25 to 30 minutes, until they're golden brown around the edges. (I only baked for 20 minutes)
7) Remove them from the oven, loosen the edges, and cool for 5 minutes.
8) Use a knife (or bench knife) to cut the bars while they're still warm in the pan. Carefully remove warm bars from the pan, and cool on a rack. Alternatively, remove from the pan before cutting into bars; it helps to cut in half first, then loosen the bottom of each half with a turner/spatula before turning out onto a sheet of parchment to cut into bars.
9) Wrap bars individually to store; or place in a single layer on a plate, and cover with plastic; or store in layers with parchment in between. In humid weather, it's best to store bars in the refrigerator. They also freeze well.
Do try this recipe if you like chewy granola bars. I absolutely love these!
9 comments:
YUM!
Mom says they look yummy...I think she started drooling on herself!
Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra
yummm,,,,they sound scrumpdelishioso (new word) :O)
They do sound good-bet my dog would love them-she likes people food the best!
Chewy ones are the best ones! LOL! This looks good and tweakable....
Wow - those sound yummers! Any idea (Oh negative Mom!!!!) how many calories they have - about? Thanks for posting the recipe!!!
Hugs and definiely licks xo
SAmmie
Cool! That looks pretty good! Can't wait to see what the dogs have to say about it tomorrow!
Khyra: Your mom is not suppose to drool on herself. Only us doggies can do that. Hugs, Sam & June
Mrs. JP: Nice word!
Debra: My dogs love people food too but they don't get a lot of it. They did get some of these granola bars.
Crossview: I love the tweakable part.
Sammie: Mom said she doesn't know about the calories part. We don't know about that stuff either, we just know that they are yummy. Hugs, Sam & June
Warren: The dogs loved it! They didn't a lot though because I read that raisins are poisonous to dogs.
You are a mind reader! I've spent the past week looking for a granola bar recipe. THANK YOU--I can't wait to try them!
K.
I love homemade granola. I maked a soaked version and use maple syrup, yummy. You'd love it that way!
Post a Comment