Friday, October 17, 2008

Garden Review - Part 2

Continuing my garden review(hope I'm not boring you with this):




11) Broccoli
  • Planted broccoli for the first time, from seeds!
  • Will definitely do that again next year

12) Bok Choy (Chinese Vegetable) - picture on right

  • I grew up eating bok choy but this is my first time planting them
  • Started from seeds, very easy to grow
13) Mibuna (Japanese Vegetable) - picture on right below bok choy
  • Planted these for the first time, from seeds
  • Had never tasted them before until now
  • Strong taste, good in salad or stir-fry

14) Carrots

  • Bought a pack of seeds and followed the instructions on back but did not germinate. Bad seeds maybe?

15) Radishes

  • Planted only 1 row, will plant more next year

16) Cantaloupe & Watermelon

  • I started these from seeds and transplanted the seedlings but none of them made it. Wonder what I did wrong. Perhaps I did not "harden" the seedlings to the outdoor climate

17) Sunflowers

  • Started these from seeds, planted 2 kinds: Evening Sun & Moulin Rouge(pollenless)
  • Saved seeds for next year
  • Note for next year: Plant sunflowers with cucumbers. The cucumbes will climb up the sunflowers

18) Strawberries

  • Purchased 3 types from Four Season Nursery
  • Robinson - June bearing
  • Quinault - Everbearing
  • Ozark - Everbearing
  • I can't wait for next season for my own fresh strawberries and of course strawberry jam!

Have a wonderful weekend!

10 comments:

Erica said...

I totally agree about the sunflowers and cucumbers. Mine climbed up my sunflowers this year and our fence. Best cucumbers I have ever gotten too!

I tried to plant a late crop of bok choi, but no luck. I'll make sure to save a space for it right away in the spring!

CrossView said...

Wow! I never thought of planting the cukes with the sunflowers. What a great idea!

We're planning to try broccoli this year after it cools off a bit more.

Love the pics of the Bok Choy and Mibuna. Now I've heard of it AND seen it! ;o)

We've never had any luck with melons.... =/

Anonymous said...

I've grown broccoli, but never from seed. It's about time to plant it here. Maybe I'll give it a shot.

Anonymous said...

YD, did you save any sunflower seeds to eat? We have been roasting a bunch and they are excellent!

RazorFamilyFarms.com said...

You are so awesome! Have I told you how glad I am that we are friends. You're just so ding dang cool! What a great idea!

Blessings!
Lacy

wvfarmgirl said...

I didn't have much luck with the bell peppers this year either. Mine were over 3' tall, but not many peppers because of the straight compost that I used in the beds. Too much nitrogen, not enough of anything else. Try adding sulfur and epsom salts to the garden next year -- I've always had good results with that!

Ann said...

Drooling over your garden!! YUM!!!

Jody M said...

RE: Carrots. I mix my carrot seeds with radishes and loose-leaf lettuce. The radishes break up the soil for the very slow germinating carrots, and the lettuce gets harvested way before they would shade the carrot foliage too much.

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

Erica: Hi and welcome to my blog! I was going to plant a late crop of bok choi but didn't get around to it. Next year I will probably plant more

Crossview: I didn't even know about planting the sunflowers and cukes together. I just happened to have planted some cucumbers next to some sunflowers and realized it afterwards that it was a great idea!

J: I wasn't sure at first how the broccoli woould do from seeds. Glad that it worked out for me.

Warren: I didn't save the seeds to eat, just saved them for next year's garden.

Lacy: Thank you friend!

WVfarmgirl: I think next year I will test my soil and see what's needed.

Ann: Drooling over my garden? That's ok, I drool over your desserts! :-) Maybe you should move to NY and be my neighbor.

Jody: Thank you for the tip! I may try it again(carrots) next year.

Amber said...

my hubby told me that carrots require a really loose soil - that's probably why I've never gotten anything but nubs. The guinea pigs like to eat the green tops any way, so it's not like they didn't go to waste :-)