Monday, October 6, 2008

Dutch Apple Pie

Raise your hand if you like Dutch Apple Pie or Apple Crisp....(raising my hand up high and saying me me me at the same time)

My co-worker went apple picking with her family 2 weeks ago and got a little carried away with it. "Oh this one looks good, lets pick it" "Oh that one looks good too, pick that too" "And that one" "This is a nice one, I'll pick it"...they ended up with 70 lbs of apples!!! Needless to say by the end of last week, the whole family was getting a little tired of eating apples. I had offered to buy some from her but she insisted on giving them to me free of charge. Thanks Renee!

I made the apple pie fillings from the previous post and canned them but still ended up with enough apples to make an apple crisp. Below is my all time favorite Dutch Apple Pie/Apple Crisp recipe.

Ingredients:
1 9" pie crust(homemade or store bought) if making the pie, no crust if making apple crisp


For the filling
6-7 medium apples (I like to use a mixture of Honey Crisp, Jonagold & Golden Delicious)
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 - 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon, I like mine cinnamony, so I always use 3/4 tsp.
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
3 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons cold butter, cut into little pieces


For the streusel
1-3/4 cups old fashioned oat
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup walnuts (optional)
1/2 stick melted butter


Instructions:
1) Peel, core and slice the apples to 1/4" thick. I found out with that thickness, the filling is not mushy or too crunchy. Place apple slices in a big bowl.
2) Mix sugar, flour, cinnamon & nutmeg into the apple slices. Toss to coat. Let the apples sit in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes to coat.
3) While the apple slices and cinnamon sugar mixture are "marinating" in the fridge, mix together all the ingredients for streusel.
4) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
5) Pour the apple mixture into the pie crust or a 9" round baking dish. Dot with butter pieces. Sprinkle streusel on top of apples. I like to pat them down as I sprinkle.
6) Bake 30 minutes for apple crisp, 45 minutes for pie. Place a sheet of alunimun foil in the bottom rack of the oven to "catch" the spillage. If not you'll have to spend some time cleaning your oven at a later time.
7) Remove from oven and let cool for at least 20 minutes before serving(unless you like burning your mouth or your guess' mouths).

The verdict:
The girls approved and gave this apple crisp an A+. Hubby and I ate 1/2 of it last night.

6 comments:

Julie said...

I love apple crisp. Man. When are you going to invite me to dinner? You have been cooking up some good stuff.

CrossView said...

My husband's favorite! =D

wvfarmgirl said...

Oh my, that sound delish!!! Now I need to go out and find a pick your own apple orchard to satisfy the need for apple crisp!

RazorFamilyFarms.com said...

Yummy!

I adore apple pie!

Delish!

Blessings!
Lacy

Akprestons said...

YUM! I can't wait to try this! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Ann said...

Oooo, sound YUMMY!!!!