Overall I think this has been a good year for me. A few months back I honestly didn't think the tomatoes would do well this year due to all the rain we had in mid July and early August. It rained almost every other day for a few weeks. My tomato plants looked like they were dying(which you can see from the picture above). But to my surprise the tomato plants kept producing more and more tomatoes.
I started a garden journal this year and here's what I had written down:
1) Tomatoes
- Planted a total of 22 plants, 6 varieties
- Started from seeds 1 variety: Better Boy Hybrid
- Purchased these varieties from the nursery: Beefsteak, Supersonic, Sweet 100, Roma & Grape
- This is my first year starting out with seeds and I did pretty good. Will definitely do it again next season with more varieties
2) Bell Peppers
- Planted 6 plants, all started from seeds
- Not at all thrilled with the peppers, did not get many
- This is my second year with bell peppers and again it didn't do very well, I may not try it again next year
3) Jalapeno Peppers
- Planted 6 plants, all from seeds
- Just like the bell peppers, I am dissapointed at the amount of peppers I got
- The plants are big and healthy looking, just not many peppers. What is up?
- I will however try the jalapenos again next year as this is my first year with jalapenos
4) Cucumbers
- Planted 4 seedlings I started but only 1 survived, this one did not yield many cukes
- Purchased 4 more to replace the dead ones and these did very well
- Will try some pickling cukes next year
5) Butternut Squash
- Purchased 1 plant from the nursery, this was not in my "original" plan but I had some room in the garden and decided to try it for the first time
- Only harvested 3 squashes
- Saved the seeds to try again next year
6) Onions
- First time planting onions
- Planted about 24 bulbs: Yellow onions
- Harvested all 24 but the size is quite small. Not what I had expected. The biggest one was only around 3" in diameter
7) Basil
- Started from seeds and planted 4 basil plants
- Great harvest!
8) Parsley
- Purchsed 1 container from the nursery but it was pretty big so I divided it into 4 to transplant
- All 4 did great and they are still growing
9) Green Beans
- Only planted 6 seeds
- Did not get many
- I will probably skip beans next season
10) Peas
- Planted 2 rows(twice) but those darn bunnies ate them all!!!
...to be continue
6 comments:
We had lousy results with cucumbers and bell peppers this year as well. Last year, our green peppers were excellent. Not sure why this year was a drag. Maybe try one more year. It's hard to beat fresh stuffed peppers!
Frost warning. I love it. We are still really close to 90 every afternoon. We can pretty much grow things all year round here. Except it gets so hot in the summer that the tomatoes won't set. Don't you love it!
Frost??!! I can't imagine! =D
The garden looks pretty!
It's funny- I usually have trouble with tomatoes. Yet, I usually do well with beans, cucumbers, and green peppers.
I also had a low pepper turnout this year, and so very late! I don't think I got a ripe pepper until September.
I just cut some broccoli last night, 'twas very good. Got 80 garlic plants in, hope for another 100 this weekend.
Warren: I doubt that I would try the bell peppers again. Now, hot peppers on the other hand, I would keep trying. I love hot peppers!
Julie: 90 degrees? Yikes! I only like warm weather(up to 85 degrees) for the garden, other than that no thanks.
Crossview: Thanks!
Jody: I have not planted the garlic yet. I do want to try this year.
Be careful with garlic - it will grow and grow and grow and grow for years and years. My neighbors have been picking out garlic plants from their yard for about 15 years now.
The parsley will probably come back next year. I can't remember if basil does or not.
I tend to get a few tomato plants that regerminate and come back the next year too.
Post a Comment