Friday, May 30, 2008

A Treat For The Weekend

TGIF!!! :)

I haven't been baking for a few weeks and I am really itching to do some soon. Not sure if I will be able to this weekend. But that shouldn't stop me from sharing with you one of my recipes.

A few months ago I read about a coconut quick bread posting from a random blog. The blogger wrote about eating it and asked her readers for recipes. So for the rest of that day my mind was set on coming up with my own recipe. I have a great recipe for banana bread, so I decided to adapt the recipe and come up with a delicious coconut quick bread recipe. If you are a coconut fan like me, you would enjoy this.

YD's Yummy Coconut Bread

Ingredients:
2 Eggs
½ cup butter, melted
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla
¾ cup sugar
¼ cup brown sugar
1½ cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cinnamon
2/3 cup chopped walnuts
½ cup chocolate chips
1½ cup shredded coconut
½ teaspoon cocoa powder + ½ teaspoon flour (for dusting pan)



Instructions:
1) In a small saucepan, simmer on low heat, buttermilk and ½ cup of coconut for 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat and cool. Drain the buttermilk and measure ¾ cup for the batter. Save the coconut to be added to the batter later.
2) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8½” X 4” loaf pan and dust with cocoa/flour mixture. Shake off excess flour from pan.
3) In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, melted butter, ¾ cup buttermilk and vanilla. Stir in sugars.
4) In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Pour flour mixture into egg mixture and stir until just combined. Do not over mix. Fold in walnuts, chocolate chips and all the coconut. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 1hour to 1hour 10minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes. Loosen loaf from sides of pan. Remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely before slicing.

5 comments:

Julie said...

That sounds yummy. I love coconut. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Yummy, yummy, yummy! Why can't we be neighbors? I would be fat but very happy!

Blessings!
Lacy

Anonymous said...

I made it and took it to a friend this morning. She called a moment ago and just moaned into the phone. What a great recipe!!!

Thanks again!

Lacy

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

Thank you for trying the recipe Lacy. I'm glad your friend enjoyed it!

You're welcome Julie.

Anonymous said...

Great recipe. Wow it sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing it.
My mouth is watering as I write... especially after reading Lacy's comments. lol Moaning in the phone sounds like the bread treat must taste heavenly. ahhh yummy!
;)